Can anyone rec a good drama with strong female leads who aren't extra cutesy. Any shows with smart, skilled females?

I like:

- female char builds up skills over show, esp if it's in fighting, but other skills are ok too

- relationship like main leads in princess agents where male falls for female lead bc of her strength and talents 

- historical/ wuxia setting (but modern is ok too) 

- eye candy!

I started watching journey of flower bc I loved ZLY in princess agents but I can't get past how dumb and cutesy her char acts :( 

*  Scarlet Heart / Bu Bu Jing Xin  ----  Learns  how to survive in palace politics .... very talented, smart, and brave.....  Amazing female lead .... excellent writing, great story telling.

* Sound of the Desert   ---- She is raised among wolves ...Smart and wily ....  Learns about survival in society, but also fights and becomes a soldier..... Lots of romance ...                                                                  same writers/director/actress as above

* Prince of Lang Ling   ---  Bit Wuxia .... She fights and strategizes .... saves him.

* Legend of the Concord Heroes (2008)  ----  Classic Wuxia ... She's the brains and leads the fight against the villains.

There are more good Wuxia, but older .... let me know if u r interested         ...........   Btw, u r right, in most wuxia, or at least most C-historicals, the females are strong, smart and brave ..... I can't stand the cutsie, weak or dumb females .... especially in C-dramas, they can be overly annoying by also being feisty or stubborn and thus causing many stupid problems ...Ughh!!!                                                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, not a C-drama.... but if you want smart, strong and brave females in historicals:

* The Princess' Man ---- They don't come better than Se-Ryung ... she is astonishing in her bravery, determination and sticking to her own values.

* Queen Seon Duk ---- Fights as a man  in the army, then becomes a great queen.

* Empress Ki ----  learns to fight, is brave, tough,  and has brains to rule.

second sound of the desert.  I haven't finished it yet but I like the female lead a lot.  She's pretty cool and a bit funny.  You might try Rookie Agent Rouge.  I have only seen a couple episodes but she didn't seem too obnoxious and cutesy.  

The First Half of My Life, Surgeons, Ode to Joy, Ode to Joy 2, Princess Agents, Battle of Changsha, Legend of Concubine Zhen Huan, Rookie Agent Rouge, Nothing Gold Can Stay, Nirvana in Fire (this is a male-centric drama but all the female characters that are in it are strong af), The Disguiser (same as NIF)

the imperial doctress - great character develompent

not chinese

Flower in prison - kdrama sageuk, MC is a spy

Doctor X - jdrama, MC is skilled surgeon

second The IMPERIAL DOCTRESS

AND @rainruma's suggestions 

thanks for the recs! I started BBJX/scarlet heart, but ugh! the half bald hairstyles

I started legend of luzhen too and am so far liking it :)

Dandelionpwr:

thanks for the recs! I started BBJX/scarlet heart, but ugh! the half bald hairstyles

I started legend of luzhen too and am so far liking it :)

the half bald hairstyle takes some time getting used to it lol

@ Dandelionpwr  ... We all had to get used to the half-baldies ....LOL....  U won't even pay attention b/c of the captivating plot and wonderful characters .....  She is the star of the show, If you want a strong smart woman that learns to survive, u won't find better!  

BBJX is one of best C-dramas .... (along w/  Nirvana in Fire and Battle of Changsha  - which have small female roles)

I forgot about this:  

* Legend of Concubine Zhen Huan  --- A common girl becomes empress , by using her brain and strength..... also one among the very best C-dramas.

Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms - I don't remember her every being cutesy, but you can actually separet the main character into 3 different ones so there is one who is weak but the other two aren't. A great historical cdrama that I think everyone should watch, and everything was filmed so beautifully and the costums are a reason alone to watch it.

the next I haven't finished yet, but they are historical cdrama where the female is strong (not always fighting but at least in mind games)
Princess Wei Young
General and I

I second Empress Ki.

I'd also recommend Jewel in the Palace.