I have become a recent fan of Japanese dramas--I blame my daughter, who lives in Japan and loves Arashi and Matsujun (serious love!).  I have been watching Korean dramas for years, and they are usually at least 20 episodes...but the two Japanese dramas I have watched so far (Shitsuren Chocolatier and Natsu no Koi wa Nijiiro ni Kagayaku) are 11 and 10 episodes (and I'm starting Quiz Show 2, which is also 10 episodes).  Is there a reason they are so short?  Is that how long most of them are?  I've gotten used to long dramas, haha.  

Welcome to the world of J-dramas! :D

Yep, a usual J-drama have 10-13 episodes. I think this is because the series are shown by season (winter, spring, summer, fall). One season is three months. As the shows are shown weekly and there are four weeks in a month, 4x3=12. However, there are those which rarely get 16 episodes (e.g. Itazura na Kiss: Love in Tokyo), those which airs longer (e.g. Amachan), and, of course, the taiga dramas are exception as well because they're shown annually.

I hope you'll see and enjoy more Jdoramas! They tend to be more on point so the series don't get too draggy. :)
Hi Weaver, thanks for the reply!  You are right; they aren't draggy at all!  I am now on #3, Quiz Show 2 (at my daughter's insistence *wink*) and I am really enjoying it...sooo may dramas; too little time!  :-D