I recently decided to try out some jdrama and wasn't disappointed. First series I watched was Hana Yori Dango (boys over flowers) and was so happy and thrilled with it, I watched next Shanai Marriage Honey, an unusual but very nice series. Next I watched Ashi Girl, which was alright, thought it was more geared towards younger audiences. I'm now watching Zenkai Girl, and it's alright, but I'm not totally captivated.

My favorite combination is fluffy romance, comedy, some drama. I'm not sure if there's something similar like Hana Yori Dango or better in jdrama, I'd really enjoy more drama romance like that.

In kdrama I liked series like:
-  Goong, arranged marriage and a royal family. Maybe jdrama has similar. I'd like to watch something like this next.
- I'm not a robot
- Secret Garden
- Strong girl bong soon

I want to watch the best jdrama  series matching those kinda series.

Can you help me? :)

If you liked Hana Yori Dango, you'll probably like Hanazakari no Kimitachi e.  They're similar to each other, and roughly equally good imo.

I also recommend Nodame Cantabile.  I like this one more than Hana Yori Dango.

Another popular romcom set in school is Itazura na Kiss: Love in Tokyo, but I haven't seen it yet.

I checked your list and I see that you gave the Korean version of Mother a 10/10, so you might be interested in checking out the Japanese version of Mother.

mjf314:

If you liked Hana Yori Dango, you'll probably like Hanazakari no Kimitachi e.  They're similar to each other, and roughly equally good imo.

Another popular romcom set in school is Itazura na Kiss: Love in Tokyo, but I haven't seen it yet.

I checked your list and I see that you gave the Korean version of Mother a 10/10, so you might be interested in checking out the Japanese version of Mother.

Thanks for quick reply, looks like I have something to watch tonight :D

And yes I was aware of the japanese (original) version of Mother, great dramatic story, and I was going to watch the japanese version when I was feeling like watching that kinda story. Took me months to decide to watch Mother korean version because I knew it was a dramatic story.

I like good series like that, but my daily dose involves mostly escapism series with fluffy comedy romance with a hint of drama.

mjf314:

I actually before your recommendation started watching Hanazakari no Kimitachie e. But I stopped half way thru into the first episode. I'm giving it a second try now and now finished first episode. It's still a bit  unfocused I feel... hopefully this boat picks me up at least in 2nd episode (currently watching).

Try:

• Love Last Forever / Koi wa Tsuzuku yo Dokomademo
  • From 5 to 9 / 5-ji Kara 9-ji Made
  • A girl and three sweethearts / Suki na Hito ga Iru Koto
  • We married as a Job / Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu
  • Buzzer Beat
  • Pride
  • Orange Days 
  • Good Morning call

If you liked Ashi Girl, then you can also watch its sequel (movie). 

Good Luck!! - it is probably very different from other romances you saw, but chemistry between leads is very good and it is funny to watch them. It is light comedy, good romance, life drama from a world of airplanes.

Maybe: Uchi no musume..., (according to comments), but I have not watched it yet.

Watching Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu   now, 4 episodes left. It's pretty good, very light and romantic, some comedy, overall fairly well balanced. Very similar to the kdrama Because This is My First Life .

I did give Hanazakari no Kimitachi e    a try, but it didn't make me fall in interest in it, so I parked that series. Not interested in high school series at the moment.

Doesn't j-drama have something like a modern day royal/imperial family drama, similar to Goong  or King2Hearts  or The King: Eternal Monarch    ?   Maybe difficult to create those kinda series in Japan since the imperial family is still there, so because it's so respected nobody is willing to create those kinda series?

Also, I'd like to watch a romance between a rich guy (chaebol) and a poor girl, Secret Garden comes to mind, but there are also many others like Boys over flowers/Hana yori dango, I'm not a robot, My secret romance, etc.

I just found Rich Man, Poor Woman. Haven't seen it yet but it might be interesting.

Awesome :) I feel like a kid in a candy store, been told everything is free... :)

You could watch Hana Nochi Hare, It’s a spinoff/next season of Hana Yori Dango with new characters. 

They look good. Thank you for the suggestions.