Hello!

Mr. Sunshine is my new favourite Kdrama. I just got through it for my second time after convincing  my wife that she'd like it too.

I know that there is some controversy as to the total historical accuracy of the show. I never expected it to be perfectly accurate but I do find that I'm drawn to learn more about the history of Korea around that time and beyond.

I thought some other fans on here might be able to recommend some good history books (in English). Especially any that are not to dry to read. If it has a narrative element, that's cool too.

Thanks for any help,

Cheers!

Mr. Sunshine is probably my No. 1 favorite K-Drama as well! I am no historian but majored in prehistoric archaeology so I did a quick research and found you some science papers rather than books (you can read on the browser or download it, maybe you will need to register an account, but it is free and without worries). I havn't read any of those, altough I might check out the one about the folk songs, it sounds promising :)

Roman David, The past or the politics of the present? Dealing with the Japanese occupation of South Korea

Hasan Barlak, KOREA IN THE OCCUPATION PROCESS AND ABDÜRREŞİD İBRAHİM

Hee Jung Kang, Reinvented and Re-Contextualized: Cultural Property in Korea during Japanese Occupation

Roald Maliangkay, Them Pig Feet: Anti-Japanese Folksongs in Korea

Also here is a powerpoint presentation about the 1590's japanese occupation of Korea: 

https://www.academia.edu/61715357/The_1590s_Japanese_Invasions_of_Korea

Of course, these Papers are all rather specific. You might be good with putting in search query's like "Korea during early 20th century" or "Korea +Japanese Occupation" or "Korea +Independence Movement" or something like that into Google Scholar, Academia, Research Gate.

As I'm feeling frenzy about this here are some book titles of the wikipedia entry of "korean independence movement":

-)McKenzie FA. Korea's Fight for Freedom. 1920"

-) Seth, Michael J. (2006). A concise history of Korea : from the neolithic period through the nineteenth century. Lanham [etc.]: Rowman and Littlefield. ISBN 9780742540057.
-)Andrew C. Nahm, ed. (1973). Korea Under Japanese Colonial Rule. Western Michigan University. 

edit: btw. I wasn't able to rewatch Mr. Sunshine as the last time left me in my biggest post-drama depression/slump (like, no drama seemed interesenting or catching afterwards, and all felt cringy and cheap...) I ever had xD

And lucky you, my bf would pretty much never watch asian dramas with me. The only K-drama he occasionally watched some parts and even enjoyed it was Welcome to Waikiki (and maybe The sound of your heart, but I'm not sure).

Wow.
Thanks very much. I'll take a loot at some of this!

Two watches of Mr. Sunshine somewhat back to back was nice (I noticed some new things), but also rough (it stayed sad for the second viewing).

I do consider myself very lucky. But the nice thing about K dramas is that they come in all kinds of genre. Though for the most part we've stuck near romance/drama/comedy. Maybe your bf would dig something else? Who knows?

Thanks again!

I am looking for suggestions online for history books and I am glad I found your post where I found them. I appreciate the advice. I will surely read those books. When I was searching for it online, I also found https://customwriting.com website where I found a custom essay writing service. I am not so good at writing an essay assignments and that is why I took interest in that website.