He had a FULL harem of concubines  I know ..

But he didnt come across as a horny guy who has a glad eye for the women .. especially a woman he knows is his mom's pawn piece AND and daughter of his 'enemy' who might be a plant (he allowed her to sidle along during court discussions), he also knows she went after XW's girl (he was happy to see XW having a love interest and might settle down in marriage)

Did I miss something in the plot?

Was it because he wanted to control her father ? But he knew she had cut off all links to the family .. 

You should post in the public comment, more people would see it and answer.

:-D

Thanks .. Good idea

He is trying to stop Xue family from installing Ling Zhi wang as crown prince. His mom wouldn't stop plotting with her brother xue yuan. They wanted to  make Ling Zhi wang crown prince and basically kill Shen Lang but he thought marrying Xue Shue would kill two birds with one stone. Ling Zhi wang already begged him to Marry Jiang Xue hui so he got rid of Xue Shu from the running in the consort selection and stop the mother from trying to install a crown prince.

They were using each other. She likely  had information he could use against her father. Xue Shi could only rely on the emperor anyway since she turned her back on her family at that point. Xue Shi thought she could manipulate him or worm her way into his heart but he clearly always had his guard up. The emperor saw her as a pawn and probably just found her attractive enough to play along. 

I think they're confused because Shen Lang doesn't come across as licentious man. Shen Lang does explain to Lin zi that it's to also help him marry the person he wants (even though the mother interferes) but the prime reason stands that when he beds Xue Shu, Xue family will no longer  have a consort since Xue is the only available woman of the family. Their plan to control Xue Shu's future baby with Lin Zi wang  fails.  They choose this route because  Shen Lang has become too independent and doesn't listen to them any longer. The two brother sister pair (the empress dowager and Xue Yuan) installed shen Lang and  the queen ruled as regent but Shen Lang grew up and took control himself so they want to get rid of him by forcing him to crown Shen Jie as crown prince(which is what happened in the previous life) so he beds Xue Shu to secure his seat.

I know.  It was so gross, ughhh.  Nasty!

What is even odder is how suddenly Xue Shu becomes his most trusted advisor and apparently the most powerful person in the palace.

By doing so he created a rift in the Xue family. I think that was his intention. Things were never the same between the Empress Dowager and her brother, the duke.  It was a strategic decision 

Ahh right.

I missed that.

Quite a sacrifice on the king's part ?‍?

My memory is a little blurry, but I remember a few things:

1. She does seem to be pretty abandoned by her family and all and 'convinces' him that she'll help take the Xue family down. On the emperor's part, considering that he and Xie Wei had contrived a whole set of plans predicting her/Xue family's moves, might've just wanted to keep his enemies close OR genuinely believed her plan. 

2. Takes down any chance of the Xue family moving up in the future. The emperor seems sickly and close to death, which means Lin Zi Wang (if that's his name) will take over. If Xue Shu sleeps with the emperor, she can no longer be Lin Zi Wang's consort and therefore loses long-term control of the harem and political power. Emperor knows this.

3. He's a man. Even if he's not promiscuous... sometimes human nature has its whims, and considering his harem FULL of concubines, I wouldn't put it past him.

4. Simple plot hole which I could honestly see happening.

Not sure if it was a ‘sacrifice‘ on his part but he wanted to keep the enemy close and I don’t think he wanted his brother to be forced to marry her.  I don’t think the emperor was simple at all. It shows in the fact that he kept Xie Wei as a close advisor.  And he never sided with the Xue family.  Him marrying Xu Xue was part of a bigger plan with Xie Wei. He was very wary of her though.  There was no momentary lapse of judgevent there or him behaving like a ‘man’.  According to me that actually was a smart move- keeping the enemy close  is what I call it

I really liked the politics that played out in this drama.

I had missed this aspect of the emperor - as game ploy.

It was so clear.. 

I can get all the theories expounded.. The "being a man" is the weakest IMO.

No where in the script is there even a hint of him being "horny" and making a decision based on it - that too when she is such an important game piece.