So I am a teacher's aid at a religious school and we have a newly budding K-Drama club. I expressed interest in helping with the club and recommending some titles. One student really enjoyed Reply 1988 and wanted to watch 1997 as a group. I looked it up and saw that 1997 has a gay love story / theme. While talking about or watching shows with gay characters etc are not banned the administration does express reserve and caution with these topics. Can anyone who has watched it tell me how much homosexuality plays into the plot and how much screen time that narrative takes up? Do you think it would be a drama acceptable for high school aged children attending a conservative school? Thanks!

Hi! Thanks for replying! I'm not sure I understand your answer though, can you be a bit more specific? Thank you!
The character arc in question is a one sided love arc. As he's one of the main characters, there will be lots of screen time for his character but it's not always focused on his crush. There's no sexual contact between the male leads if that's what you're worried about. I think it should be okay to be shown in a religious school. 
My answer has spoilers regarding this storyline, just as a warning for anyone reading this.

To add to what Kat said, that particular storyline is done quite tastefully from both sides of the spectrum I think. The character plays a major supporting role (as the male lead's best friend) but the homosexuality theme is a subplot and does not play a major role in the overall story. As Kat mentioned, the character (Jun Hee) has a crush on his friend (Yoon Jae) which he discloses to the female lead. The focus is on the character trying to figure out who he is, so the subplot is in no way in your face or anything like that (and the storyline doesn't even come into play until a good way into the show and is in the background). There is never anything shown on screen and even the ending for the character is left fairly open (it is implied but never shown or explicitly addressed), and I consider it to be quite respectful given the conservative nature of Korea, while still keeping the character's dignity in place and treating the story with tact and significance. Basically I am saying that I think it should be fine. My parents are very conservative and I would be fine watching this series with them so I think it should be completely acceptable for your setting, though when the episode which opens up this topic comes up you may want to have a a conversation about it with your students. 
I agree with Kat & Wanderingjinny. 

*again spoilers*
Poor Jun Hee doesn't get into a relation at all during the series, although it is implied at the end (but we just see him going into somebody's sports car and we guess the date is male but we don't get to see him lol).

In general, you're pretty safe with k-dramas as Korea is unfortunately quite conservative and narrow-minded on the subject just like many religions.
There shouldn't be anything to worry about when showing it to the club. *spoilers* It's a one sided crush so the guys never kiss. Once the straight friend realizes the depth of the crush his gay friend has on him he does hug the friend during one scene but there is nothing romantic about it.