I haven't watched any movies from Japan and would like to start. I like Romance, Adventure, Quirky, Strange, Comedy and General Drama.

I am not at all into horror but I do like suspense.

Can you recommend some of your top rated "Must Watch" favorites?

I would be so grateful!

Thanks.... Jeanie.
hmm I could recommend you some I liked very much: A Cheerful Gang Turns the Earth: very funny and with Matsuda Shota :D M.W. Kisaragi Akihabara at Deep Sakuran Shinobi: Heart Under Blade Zatoichi Lovely Complex I think that's it, for now
twinklelie wrote: hmm I could recommend you some I liked very much:
A Cheerful Gang Turns the Earth: very funny and with Matsuda Shota :D
M.W.
Kisaragi
Akihabara at Deep
Sakuran
Shinobi: Heart Under Blade
Zatoichi
Lovely Complex

I think that's it, for now

Thanks Twinklelie... Is M.W. The name of the movie or is that short for something?
Jeaniessi wrote: Thanks Twinklelie... Is M.W. The name of the movie or is that short for something?

nope, it's the name of the movie ^^
Hey there, I recommend Surely Someday which is romance/friendship/music/yakuza ... a lot of twists, good soundtrack if you like something like indie rock.
And Tenshi no koi aka My Rainy Days which is romance/friendship, once again excellent soundtrack, mostly instrumental.
I hope you'll like them :-)
I second the rec for Zatoichi, one of my favourite movies. I recommend almost anything by/with Takeshi Kitano, he's brilliant, though some of his works go a little over my head LOL Nobody Knows is a good tear jerker Quill is also a tear jerker
Two for Zatoichi! Must look this up. p.s...Ikigami is killing me! so sad. so Orwellian!
Jeaniessi wrote: p.s...Ikigami is killing me! so sad. so Orwellian!

Read the manga, then :) It's a masterpiece
there are different versions of zatoichi, not sure about twinklelie but the one i recommend is actually called Zatoichi: the Blind Swordsman and is starring and directed by Kitano, there's a series from like the 70's or something and one or two other movie adaptations that i haven't seen. it's feudal Japan, swordfighting and such, but has a bit of humour in it here and there (dark/dry humour mind you) trying to look at my dvd collection for more recs but they're almost all Chinese haha.. or anime
ladyfaile wrote: there are different versions of zatoichi, not sure about twinklelie but the one i recommend is actually called Zatoichi: the Blind Swordsman and is starring and directed by Kitano, there's a series from like the 70's or something and one or two other movie adaptations that i haven't seen. it's feudal Japan, swordfighting and such, but has a bit of humour in it here and there (dark/dry humour mind you)

trying to look at my dvd collection for more recs but they're almost all Chinese haha.. or anime

I was talking about the version with Kitano ^^
I kind of figured, it IS awesome after all :D I especially love the geisha
ladyfaile wrote: I kind of figured, it IS awesome after all :D I especially love the geisha

Yup, I couldn't agree more :D
I've seen quite a few Kitano movies and this one is one of my fav. I also like Aniki
yes! Aniki was awesome. some of his films are pretty brutal though, I had a hard time getting through Blood and Bones (though it's not directed by him just starring)
agreed! I'm still wondering how I managed to finish some of them...
Okay! List me more recommendations lovies!