Recently I've gained interest in sageuk (korean historical) drama, and want to expand to wuxia before I go to taiga(?)(japanese historical drama). The things I love in sageuk are the politic, power struggle, war-scene, setting (both the custom and the costume), intrigue (betrayal, revenge), and of course the history. I love romance only when it's done right, or atleast not being a flaw in the overall drama. So what should I watch first? Thank you
Then which Dramas of that genre have you seen before? It would be helpful to know it beforehand :) Haha you have met a huge fan of general historical Dramas in me... I am sure I can help you :)
Because you don´t seem to answer I will just recommend an recently sageuk....I am not fully sure but I think it has fiinished airing now.Just the subs missing T^T It´s subbed to episode 47....I watch it weekl.... It is involved with many fighting scenes,an love story and many political upheavels of that time :) I am not 100% sure because I don´t know your exact taste but I think you will like it (=: It´s called" Soldier/God of War"!
Maybe The Vigilantes in Masks. I haven't finished it, but it didn't seem that bad. There's action, power struggles, betrayal, politics. I'm not sure if there's some romance since I've only watched a few episodes.

Not all Chinese historical dramas are wuxia, since that term refers to something to do with martial arts. My favorite Chinese drama is Bu Bu Jing Xin. It's not wuxia, but it's historical and has power struggles, romance and betrayal.
LisNoir wrote: Maybe The Vigilantes in Masks. I haven't finished it, but it didn't seem that bad. There's action, power struggles, betrayal, politics. I'm not sure if there's some romance since I've only watched a few episodes.

Not all Chinese historical dramas are wuxia, since that term refers to something to do with martial arts. My favorite Chinese drama is Bu Bu Jing Xin. It's not wuxia, but it's historical and has power struggles, romance and betrayal.

That's one I've been looking at. I really need to go ahead and give Chinese dramas a try.
LisNoir wrote: Not all Chinese historical dramas are wuxia, since that term refers to something to do with martial arts. My favorite Chinese drama is Bu Bu Jing Xin. It's not wuxia, but it's historical and has power struggles, romance and betrayal.

It's not the same? Sorry then, what I really mean was simply chinese historical drama.
Thanks for the recs
I liked Princess Pearl o:
bossmama wrote: Recently I've gained interest in sageuk (korean historical) drama, and want to expand to wuxia before I go to taiga(?)(japanese historical drama). The things I love in sageuk are the politic, power struggle, war-scene, setting (both the custom and the costume), intrigue (betrayal, revenge), and of course the history. I love romance only when it's done right, or atleast not being a flaw in the overall drama. So what should I watch first?

Thank you

Jinyong's Condor Heroes trilogy - they're all on youtube:
Legend of the Condor Heroes 2008
Return of the Condor Heroes 2006
Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre 2003
(there are many versions but I'm recommending the best adaptations in my opinion. Most wuxia are low budget production, but I really like the plot and fantasy elements)

Huan Zhu Ge Ge (Princess Pearl Season 1-2): Set in the Qing dynasty. I recommend you stop at season 2 if you really like it, cos season 3's plot just goes downhill from there. Best to avoid the new remake as well.

Romance in the Rain: Set in the late Qing dynasty to 1930s. Not exactly palace politics drama, but it has history, war, family issues, great romance, great costumes.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2B49C43B82E44085
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFAC601CBD0C26A48

As for taiga dramas:
Aoi ~Tokugawa Sandai~ (can't find any streaming online, let me know if you find it, I'd like to finish watching it too!)
Gou ~Himetachi no Sengoku~
Fuurin Kazan
Ohisama (set during WW2)
Hero Flying Daggers Mulan
Startling by Each Step
http://mydramalist.com/chinese-drama/2969/startling-by-each-step
This Chinese historical drama has beautiful costumes and detailed and picturesque scenery. The story is told through the eyes of a modern woman who time-travelled to the past of her previous incarnation. What's interesting about this drama is how much detail and thought was put in to the historical world she falls into. It feels like a sageuk, but with a female lead who has a more modern perspectives. There is a lot of political maneuverings involved, but the best part about this drama is that you learn a lot about Chinese culture. I encourage you to give this drama a try since it is a very fun watch.

If you are ever interesting in watching more Korean fusion sageuks, this one is especially good:
Painter of the Wind
http://mydramalist.com/korean-drama/422/the-painter-of-the-wind

Good luck.
These are the ones I liked, enjoyed, and leave a lasting impression. Bu Bu Jing Xin Chinese Paladin 3 The Vigilantes In Mask Mei Ren Xin Ji (Schemes of Beauty) The Condor Heroes Trilogy mentioned by autumnsoliloquy Also, I haven't watched Inner Palace: Zhen Huan Biography yet, but lots of people that have watched it says it's really good.