So, I was wondering, does anyone know if there are any "Heavy" sci-fi shows out there?  Like, not just a cyborg down the street, or some guy travelled from the future and lives right down the street, or some alien who looks, acts, thinks, and lives exactly like everyone else and lives right down the street, but like, think,  Star Trek, I don't mean it has to be set in space or spaceships, but where the sci fi type elements are very big, whether its technology or aliens or whatever (like, maybe someone from the present somehow travelled through time to the far far future or something)

OR  Does anyone know any post-apocalyptic type stuff?  Mad Max, Water World, you know?  Zombie stuff is cool too, but I think I've seen the only 3 zombie flicks there even are (Train to Busan , Tamagawa of the Dead , and I am a Hero ).  I do not include any thing as a reasonable thing to watch that includes High School girls with....chest weapons, or....groin weapons

Circle sounds exactly like what you are looking for, drama wise. Also, Long Love Letter.

For zombie movies, check out Tokyo Zombie. 

I would suggest Space Battleship Yamato ( movie with Kimura Takuya). 

Some movies that might have some of the elements you are looking for, though they are more fantasies to me: Gintama,  Gantz movies, Yatterman...

Have you tried some tokusatsus, especially the super sentais series? it seems the latest seasons are more on this field ( the 2017 serie for sure = uchuu sentai kyuranger- if you don't know tokusatsus be careful it's for kids and it's not everyone's cup of tea...)

Not shows, more of movies:

• Battle royal - dystopian genre movie. It is said that hunger games is inspired by the book
  • Gintama - japan set in feudal japan yet alien has landed on earth
  • Assasination Classroom - there is creatures of aliens that has come to take over earth
 SumiTheCat:

I would suggest Space Battleship Yamato ( movie with Kimura Takuya). 

Some movies that might have some of the elements you are looking for, though they are more fantasies to me: Gintama,  Gantz movies, Yatterman...

Have you tried some tokusatsus, especially the super sentais series? it seems the latest seasons are more on this field ( the 2017 serie for sure = uchuu sentai kyuranger- if you don't know tokusatsus be careful it's for kids and it's not everyone's cup of tea...)

I haven't seen much of the newer stuff (though, my definition for "newer" is obscenely long, like, I think the last "new" one I saw was probably back in 2012) but I LOVE tokusatsu, I wish it was a little more mature, but other than that its probably one of my favorite. genres.  And please, they're  super easy for adults to enjoy :P

I don't know any Asian drama which get enough budget  for this.

Even though you can also do without budget (if you like funny you can try "le visiteur du futur" it's French but you can find official online version with english subtitles. As the fan base for that web série quickly grew bigger they got budget to develop the alternate world they travel in and it gets from short jokes to consistent funny série) last season is all in an alternate universe. (And there are zombie)

And I guess you know stranger things from Netflix 

I will watch the topic see the suggestions !

Good luck !

(Japanese movie ... old now but I really loved it back at that time : Avalon )

Circle is one of the most recent korean dramas I can think of that has the alien and futuristic technology theme.

Die Now is a pretty good new chinese drama based on a manhua where he goes into a high-tech virtual reality game to look for his girlfriend. The game also becomes a type of parallel universe. Spoiler: perhaps aliens are involved??

I may have seen more, but they are so rare I have forgotten the names already.

Overall, we need more sci-fi in asian dramas.  :(

* 2002 (Chinese movie) 

* Duel (clones) * Circle (alien)

* Full Metal Alchemist ( live action) 

* Time Renegade ( time travel crime show)