Hi!

I'm looking for good historical dramas to watch. It can be short dramas of 16 episodes, even if I often prefer long ones ^^

Here are some things i would like to find in those dramas;

-real historic references (it's a + but it's not a problem if there isn't any)

-protagonists that tend to be anti-heroes (as in Six Flying Dragons or Bridal Mask)

-can be about "what's good and what is bad?" 

-unpredictable / with plot twists (well, the less predictable possible!)

-tear jerking / dark atmosphere (like Moon lovers: scarlet ryeo and the two other dramas i talked about before)

-actors with good acting skills

-the protagonist is relatively young (under or around 30yrs old)

Things that I don't like in historical k-dramas:

-the heroine cross dresses, male lead falls in love with her

-too much talking about politics (ex: Warrior Baek Dong Su )

-bad fight scenes (not a problem if they aren't realistic, but i don't want them to look too strange / funny)

-when the chracters all are above 30 -40  years old 

If you have any recommendations, feel free to write them! Here's a list of the Dramas I've seen if this can help you~ https://mydramalist.com/list/z1d88xA1

Chuno, maybe?  Not too much political talk that I can recall, hero has a dark streak, definitely not an overly happy drama, even though there is occasionally some comedy.

The female leads don't cross dress that I can remember, and I liked them both.  I remember  thinking that the fight scenes were very stylish and pretty to look at.

Thank you! I will add it to my "to watch list" 

The princess man? 

If you don't mind a longer one then Empress Ki is a must-watch!

Thanks! I added them to my list too ;)

• Nirvana in Fire (chinese drama) - perfectly hits all your points exceot for it being based on historical figures. But for me this is most awesome drama ever, its like a combination of Count of Monte Cristo retribution narrtive plus epic empire world of Game of Thrones.
  • The Disguiser (chinese drama) its setting is around japanese occupation in china much like Bridal Mask, but it is not really history referenced or anti-hero type
  • Tree With deep roots (korean drama) - same production team as six flying dragons, with a very slight of anti-hero. Based on King Sejong's Reign
  • Princess Man
  • Queen Seonde
  • Scarlet Heart/Bu bu Jingxin
  • Jewel in the palace
  • Jumong
  • Damo
  • Battle of Changsa
  • All Quiet in Peking

general and i 

princess agent

Seconding A Tree with Deep Roots. And Conspiracy in the Court, maybe? It's only eight episodes, but it's also very dense. I don't think it had any fillers like in most Kdramas.

The moon embracing the sun

Ruler: master of the mask

Princess Man

fanitha:

The moon embracing the sun

Ruler: master of the mask

Princess Man

Thx but I already watched The Moon embracing the sun and Pincess Man (and i didn't really like Princess man) ^^

And I dropped Master of the mask around the 4th episode. Even though i really love the male lead actors, the drama really was too "cliché" and I laughed during the dramatic scenes because of the quite bad acting ... Sorry! TT