I just finished Bu Bu Jing Xin and want to watch another series like this. Characteristics that I am looking for: - historical - more focus on romance/drama instead of comedy (I have considered Palace but as far as I know it is more on comedy side) - not too much political stuff - with twists and turns - strong female lead would be nice

there are two series that are really similar in my opinion - Rule The World and The Palace that you mentioned (which was really a bubbly version)

Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms - great series, u have to watch it.

Legend of Fu Yao

Sound of Dessert

Ashes of Love - another high rated drama from this year

Imperial Doctress

Princess Agents

Princess Wei Young

Legend of Lu Zhen - a strong female character but it has pretty much court politics since she's trying to advance her standing so lots of schemes and such, also has romance

Chronical of Life - maybe the FL wasn't that strong here

General and I

Legend of Yun Xi - but I liked it less compared to the other series that I think invested more into the costumes and filmography

I know that a lot of people loved Ice Fantasy, The Flame's daughter, The Journey of Flower, Love Lost In Times, Nirvana In Fire

Just one thing, no matter what DO NOT WATCH 2ND SEASON of BBXJ (I went there and so much regret T.T )

Try

1. Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms - this is my ABSOLUTE favorite xianxia drama. The costumes are SUPERB, the actors are AMAZING and the story is just HEARTBREAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL.

2. Ashes of Love - my 2nd favorite xianxia drama. 

3. General and I

4. Siege in Fog

5. Legend of Yunxi

6. Story of Yanxi Palace