So I'm a huge anime fan and recently, I decided to start watching j-dramas after watching the live action of Usagi Drop. I've watched My boss, My hero and GTO (2012) I love comedy where I burst out laughing with also the touch of it being serious enough to touch the heart. Both My boss, My hero and GTO did this for me at specific parts. It was really touching. I love the whole school setting so if anyone could recommend me anything similar, please do! I'm thinking of starting Don Quixote next, would that be a good one to start next? Only J-dramas please! Many thanks!
I'd recommend Bloody Monday, Nobuta wo Produce, Hana Kimi (2007), Liar Game, Gokusen (same genre as GTO), Kurosagi, Love Shuffle, One Pound Gospel,Orthros no Inu, Otomen, Akumu-chan, Risou no musko and Switch Girl Hope you'll find something to your likings -^.^- cheers :)
Nodame Cantabile don't miss it (very Mukyaaa and Gyabo!!! :D )

Nodame Cantabile don't miss it (very Mukyaaa and Gyabo!!! :D )

Go watch Hana Kimi! You have to! It has the school setting and it's the funniest drama I've ever seen!! It was one of my first J-dramas too and I still think of it as one of the best!
Everyone pretty much got the basic jdramas you should watch but im surprised no one listed HANA YORI DANGO ? like seriously ppl o__O You gotta watch that !! Plus all the other ones that they mentioned ^^^^ imo, i didnt like don quixote. its not terrible...its whatever. But why settle for whatever when you can watching something amazing like HANA YORI DANGO and HANA KIMI ??? Watch those first pls and if you like suspense type dramas then i'd really recommend liar game and kurosagi
PortgasDAce wrote: So I'm a huge anime fan and recently, I decided to start watching j-dramas after watching the live action of Usagi Drop.
I've watched My boss, My hero and GTO (2012)
I love comedy where I burst out laughing with also the touch of it being serious enough to touch the heart. Both My boss, My hero and GTO did this for me at specific parts. It was really touching. I love the whole school setting so if anyone could recommend me anything similar, please do! I'm thinking of starting Don Quixote next, would that be a good one to start next?
Only J-dramas please!
Many thanks!

Yes Don Quixote is a solid drama.

twinklelie wrote: I'd recommend Bloody Monday, Nobuta wo Produce, Hana Kimi (2007), Liar Game, Gokusen (same genre as GTO), Kurosagi, Love Shuffle, One Pound Gospel,Orthros no Inu, Otomen, Akumu-chan, Risou no musko and Switch Girl
Hope you'll find something to your likings -^.^-
cheers :)

In terms of funny and touching, I support Nobuta wo Produce and Hana Kimi.

witlily wrote: Nodame Cantabile don't miss it (very Mukyaaa and Gyabo!!! :D )

Nodame Cantabile can be surprisingly good.

Sakakibara wrote: Go watch Hana Kimi! You have to! It has the school setting and it's the funniest drama I've ever seen!! It was one of my first J-dramas too and I still think of it as one of the best!

jdrama wrote: Everyone pretty much got the basic jdramas you should watch but im surprised no one listed HANA YORI DANGO ? like seriously ppl o__O You gotta watch that !! Plus all the other ones that they mentioned ^^^^

imo, i didnt like don quixote. its not terrible...its whatever. But why settle for whatever when you can watching something amazing like HANA YORI DANGO and HANA KIMI ??? Watch those first pls

and if you like suspense type dramas then i'd really recommend liar game and kurosagi

In all, I would not recommend Kurosagi.
Bloody Monday is poor, but it is very very different from the usual jdorama, thus is worth a glance.
Gokusen is extremely different from GTO despite being in the same "high school" genre.
Love Shuffle is an interesting one.
Liar Game is poor, but its worth suffering in order to get to Liar Game 2, which is much improved.

I personally would recommend Proposal Daisakusen #1 Jdrama ever.
Love Shuffle and Pride..
BOSS seasons 1 and 2 both made me laugh and be serious at certain scenes.
Thanks to all for replying! I'm watching Don Quixote at the moment but I will definitely check out the others. Proposal Daisakusen and Nobuta wo Produce seem interesting.
Are you a boy??
then MOTEKI

Are you an Otaku
then DENSHA OTOKO

Are you Rpg Gamer
then YUUSHA YOSHIHIKO TO MAO NO SHIRO

I haven't watched many jdramas yet, but I think Hana Yori Dango is a classic and a must-watch. And Hana Kimi (2007) :) Oh and, I got many recs from this thread too, so thank you to everyone who replied!
Nodame Cantabile, Liar Game, Hana Yori Dango, High School Debut
Yeah, I reiterate the Hana Yori, Hana Kimi, Nobuta wo Produce. They are pretty much classics.