(Disclaimer - If I wanted something with absolutely no romance, most Kdramas would immediately be off limits. I can stand/ignore some romance. :P)

I'm looking for shows that focus on plot and character development without in-your-face romance. Basically, if you take the romance out of the show, and the show is still enjoyable and has a good story left, I'll be happy!

I'm especially looking for newer dramas (2017 - 2020) since I'm very out of the loop right now and only starting to catch up on those. I'm usually not into historical dramas but there have been some exceptions. Apart from that, all genres (and countries) are fine as long as they... don't focus on romance. 

What I absolutely cannot watch: Unhealthy relationships or abuse, especially against children, that isn't handled properly. This was the reason I had to drop Witch's Court even though I knew it was a minor storyline to further the lead's character development and I enjoyed the drama otherwise. :( - Also horror and anything remotely scary!

Dramas I especially liked (listing dramas people are likely to have seen): I Hear Your Voice (this is how much romance I can ignore as long as there's enough plot around it!), Terius Behind Me, Chief Kim, Code Blue, The Guardians/Watchmen/Lookout, The Untamed, Two Weeks

Does anyone possibly remember watching a show that sounds like this? Thank you so much! :D

OH MY GOD, a kindred spirit!

When you say remotely scary does this include thriller dramas? If not I have a whole list of ones I love

Confession (2019)

Doctor Prisoner (2019)

Hot Stove League (Airing) - definitely not scary or a thriller but it is a sports drama that I recommend

Stranger (2017)

I have yet to find a drama as good as Chief Kim.

Mandy Candy:
When you say remotely scary does this include thriller dramas?

I'm okay with thriller as long as there are no jumpscares. :)

Thank you for the recs - Doctor Prisoner sounds really good, and I'll check the rest out, too. Not sure if I can get into a sports drama but you never know!

Check out Pegasus Market! it has similarly chaotic energy like Chief Kim!

I recently started watching King's Avatar - supposedly, it has no romance too. i've only seen 2 episodes so i cannot really talk about qualities of the drama but it has pretty high rating (and o far it was good, haha!)

Oh! and also, i recommend checking out some KBS drama specials! there are so many short stories not revolving around  romance. i recommend going though the search results and picking some titles that sound interesting to you (most of the time you can find those specials subbed on KBS youtube channel :)). they are not the highest quality (compared with regular dramas) but there is something charming and unique about those stories

some interesting specials i recommend are: Red Teacher (life, student-teacher friendship), Legendary Lackey (comedy, high school), Oh Man Bok is pretty (family, life)

I second the recommendation for Stranger.  Watcher is also a good Kdrama with no romance.  It's from mid-2019 and has so many twists and turns.   Not much character development, but plenty of plot and a satisfying resolution (none of the frustrating non-endings we've been seeing with Netflix-produced Kdramas lately). 

I will check those out, too! Thanks. ^-^

Both Switch: Change The World and The King's Avatar have 0 romance and an entertaining plot. Don't let TKA's plot throw you off, I wasn't convinced by it at first but I completely fell in love with the drama after watching the first episode.

• Signal
  • Tunnel
  • Hello Monster
  • Unnatural
  • Voice
  • Stranger
  • Graceful family
  • Radiation House
  • Black pean
  • The good wife
  • Good doctor
  • Mad dog
  • Circle
  • Black
  • Maou
  • Kazoku game
  • Ryusei no kizuna

We are not kindred spirits because I prefer romance in pretty much everything I watch, but I am known to check out some non-romance shows from time to time. Here are a few that might match your requirements:

Business

• Golden Empire
  • Hanazawa Noaki - there's affection between Hanazawa and his wife, but no fullblown romance. Shouldn't be distracting at all.

Youth

• All - Boys High - super short, but enjoyable webseries

Suspense/Thriller

• Boku no Yabai Tsuma
  • Trap (2019)

Family / Slice of Life

• Good Life: Arigatou, Papa, Sayonara
  • Kazoku

Kingdom is great, but it has zombies so you might find it a bit scary.

Ohh thanks again, everyone! So many shows to check out that I can't even put them all on my PTW list without losing track of them. I'll definitely be checking them all out in the next few weeks. :D