You are not using the word sageuk and period drama wrong at all! I really meant to type that Arang and the Magistrate seems to be set during the Joseon period. I really should proofread before posting. :)

According to dramabeans, a sageuk is a historical drama while Arang and the Magistrate falls under the category of "fusion sageuk supernatural".
http://www.dramabeans.com/about/glossary/

:)
I'm also a sucker for sageuks but I really don't have the time to watch as many as I'd like ... This summer I watched Yi San and I was really drawn into it. During my vacation I could only think about Yi San and what was going to happen next :D ... but it's really long (77 episodes). Still, I didn't think it was boring, not at all. It has lots of things and there is something for everyone - beautiful costumes, romance, bromance, action, comedy, drama, intrigues,...
Sounds good! Thanks for the recommendation.
Can anyone here recommend a good sageuk drama wherein the main characters (MAIN male lead and female lead) doesn't die in the end? I know that many of you will disagree but I personally don't like (maybe even hate) tragic dramas where one or both the lead characters die in the end, I just don't get the appeal coz it's very depressing when the character that you supported all along for 20, to 50, or even 100 episodes gets off'ed in the end,... I'm kinda picky that way. That's why I mostly watch completed dramas. I like happy endings, there's too much bullshit going on in the world, that's why I want to escape it for awhile and watch a Good Drama with a Happy Ending. Historical Dramas that I watched (Sageuk or other): Mischievous Princess (chinese drama) The Moon that Embraces the Sun Arang and the Magistrate Sungkyunkwan Scandal (I know I watched more but I forgot the other titles...) Currently Watching: Empress Ki (REALLY good sageuk drama. Incomplete, I know, but even though I'm getting the feeling that this will turn pretty tragic in the end, I still like this drama.)
Gu Am Heo Joon (135 episodes, @episode 30 min) http://mydramalist.com/korean-drama/6403/gu-am-heo-joon, if you like medical drama with good story.
Sageuk+fantasy : Gu family Book Just Sageuk : Dong Yi (60 episodes of awesomeness) Also, you have the incredibly addicitve curently airing Empress Ki. I'm soon going to watch Warrior Baek Dong So, because it also really look good.
Currently also there is airing The Daughter of the Emperor its 120 episodes but they are 30 min long. You may want to try it, if you want other historical period than Joseon Dynasty.
Could you recommend a Sageuk like Chuno (BEST. DRAMA in general. EVER!!!)? Something with a lot of action (yes even/esp. from the girls). I loved Empress Ki, until Seung Nyang moved into the palace...after that I felt like it was all about politics and inner-palace fighting. I feel like we see that too often (especially in Chinese period dramas...ugh); she was still strong and awesome and stuff, but I really wanted to see her kickass and stop being so restricted by things like etiquette and jealous women with power. Hence why I loved Chuno...the political side of the big picture was still there, but it wasn't as focused on it. Thanks.
I've also already watched Warrior Baek Dong Soo (although I don't know if that necessarily counts...)
The Princess' Man Dae Jang Geum Dong Yi Damo
I also already watched Iljimae (no interest in return of iljimae) Princess's man Yi San (not really my thing) Jumong (really sad my OTP was split) Kingdom of the winds The Legend/Story of Four Gods (does that even count as a Sageuk...I don't think so...but I dunno) Jang Ok Jung, Live in Love (didn't really care for it...but loved the acting nonetheless) ...maybe more. (also skipped through Horse Doctor(?)...REALLY not my thing) Honestly I just want to watch one like Chuno with the action and the great acting...(I don't really need/want too much central romance and palace infighting stuff and politics). I've heard of King's Daughter Su Baek Hyang, but I suspect it'll be similar to Empress Ki in that the girl'll start out kickass but then get introduced into the palace and then...well there'll be too many jealous women involved...Don't get me wrong; I love Empress Ki...but I dropped it cuz 1)my OTP for the sageuk SN/King had no chance, and 2)SN was forced into (through situational circumstance I suppose) becoming Empress/concubine and stuff so we don't see any more ass-kicking.
Start with Jumong and then follow it with Kingdom of the Winds and then if you're interested check out Kim Soo Ro after that - they are all SUPERB - and they are all based on Real History - Jumong starts off with the creation of Goyeryo and KotW is about Jumong's grandson and then KSR (the iron king) is based on another mans history of a new era - I absolutely LOVE them all - I've watched Jumong & KotW 2x's each!
Dae jang Geum Dong Yi