No, the title is not a joke. I was reading some old articles, and I came across Serose's How to: Convert Your Friends Into Drama Fanatics http://mydramalist.com/article/2012/09/27/how-to-convert-your-friends-into-drama-fanatics[/url].

It reminded me about something I'm thinking about sometimes: how fun it would be to watch together with someone in real life, sometimes! I don't have any friends IRL who watches drama. I have one friend who likes anime, and I've given her some suggestions, but so far, she hasn't even tried a drama. I've tried to talk other friends into it, but they're not interested or they don't want to read subtitles...... *cough*lazy people*cough*

The article I just read made me think again if there's someone I could "convert", and the only answer I could come up with was: my grandmother. We already watch French movies together, and I've almost made her a fan of Fanny Ardant (French actress) thanks to my obsession, so I might succeed!

But, I'm not sure if I've seen anything so far that she'd enjoy. Do you have any suggestions for an older person? :) We saw the movie Departures together and she enjoyed it.

Things she likes (not necessarily all of them together):

* Slow-paced
* Family/friendship
* Music (classical, jazz or soft rock...)
* Beautiful scenery
* Realistic
* Sad
* Different generations doing things together
* History

Things that she would [u]not
like:

* Supernatural/fantasy/sci-fi
* "Complicated plots" (she'd never keep up with Liar Game, for instance; who's fooling whom and why...)
* Too many plotlines/unclear chronology
* Detective/crime
* Over the top, cartoonish comedy
* Food as a main theme
* Romance as the main plot

I guess it would be a bonus point if the story had something to do with France one way or another? And I guess it shouldn't be a very long drama. My preference is j-dramas, but anything is fine. :) It can also be a movie.

Some of her favourite movies are:
Amadeus, The triplettes from Belleville, No Country for Old Men (surprisingly!.. it made her want to watch more movies with Javier Bardem... her taste is somewhat unpredictable...), Baghdad Café, My Afternoons with Marguerite, the Three Colours trilogy... She's one of these people who, if she finds something she likes, can watch the same thing over and over again...
i maby have som idears.. i'm also mostly in to J-dramas.. maby nankyuku tairiku.. a remakeof the original movie Anacika that Disney also mead an American version of (eight below) the original japanese version of Hachiko.. Hachiko monogatari 1 litter of tears.. Tonbi even so it can be a bid confucing in the beginning.. i can probably find alot more, if i think hard..
Dae jang geum, jumong, Guam heo jun and giant
I really hope you can find something for your grandmother to enjoy! The things you listed off that you said your grandmother likes to watch, so far I can't think of any dramas, but would you like some recommendations for specials or movies? For specials, I was thinking maybe Door to Door or Hitsudan Hostess. Both are based off of real people. For a movie I'd recommend Usagi Drop. And now that I think about it, My Girl (japanese drama) is similar to Usagi Drop, and if you like one, you might like the other. If I think of any more, I'll let you know!
I would recommend family dramas like Ojakgyo Brothers, Smile You, or The Best Lee Soon Shin! And maybe something like 49 Days!
Fermentation Family. Beautiful Rain[its a jap/drama] Smile You, 100 yrs Inheritance,Arang & the Magistrate Sweet Spy, Full House 1 and so on and so forth.. etc.. etc...
Jdramas I could recommend for your Grandmother (or anyone else who likes touching, meaningful dramas) are: Tonbi Mother Daisuki Bara no nai Hanaya Hope you find something she will enjoy. I would love to share the experience of watching any of my listed dramas with somone.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! :) I'll see my grandmother on Thursday and then I'll try to make her watch something with me.
I actually watched some of Haikei Chichieu-sama with my family. It hits a lot of your points, mainly slow-paced, realistic and family-focused, including relationships between generations.
Becca256 wrote: I would recommend family dramas like Ojakgyo Brothers, Smile You, or The Best Lee Soon Shin! And maybe something like 49 Days!

that is what I was going to say!