Hi guys, I love saeguk dramas and reading, so I wondered why not combine the two? Do any of you guys know any good novels that set historical asia (k,j, c - I don't mind)?? Romance, Action, heroics or anything like it. samurai, court intrigue etc... Your recommendations are much appreciated! To get you started I've got a few that I have read before, that I would recommend to everyone (even though they are not really drama-like): Memoirs of a Geisha (which you probably all know as a movie) Autumn bridge by Takashi Matsuoka BuBu Jing Xin by Tong Hua There is also Amy Tan's novels (but she's not my style) there are a lot of book lists on goodreads, but you can't search them well. So I need you guys' help!
The Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See Peony in love, by the same writer. I remember that both of them are really difficult and sad stories, specially the first one.
Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn : you've got Love, action, mystery, fantasy and it's set in a fictional world based on feudal Japan. So you'll be more into a japanese-like culture. It's a saga, there are 5 books, all of them incredible. Did I fail to mentiion that the love story is awesome and moving ?

And just because it's not the real Japan doesn't mean it's absurd. The author really knew what she was doing, it's really well researched.

You also have Genji Monongatari (The Tale of the Genji) which is a classic of Japanese litterature. It's a love story set in the Imperial Court, and has been adapted into a movie recently.

here is the movie's MDL page : Genji

Interesting story behind that book : it is considered as the first novel ever written in Japanese, and it was done by a woman. Plus, it was entirely written in Hiragana, because hiragana was the only way of writing taught to women at that time (they thought a woman couldn't handle Kanjis because it was too complicated.)
all James Clavell novels (Shogun, King-Rat, Taipan,...) and Eiji Yoshikawa "Taiko" is good :D
Kokoro and Sanshiro are both written by Natsume Soseki and translated into English. These novels take place from the transition of Edo to Meiji in Japan. Both are very good.

Although I have a copy, I've never read The Scarlet Gang of Asakusa by Yasunari Kawabata. The book takes place during 1920s Japan.

It's kind of weird, although I love sageuks and Korean Dramas, I've never read any books taking place in those time periods of Korea. It might be because it's hard to find a translation of any of the novels. I think I might have to research and check out some fiction published and translated from the earlier eras of Korea.
sternchen wrote:
To get you started I've got a few that I have read before, that I would recommend to everyone (even though they are not really drama-like):
BuBu Jing Xin by Tong Hua

You ARE aware that "Bu Bu Jing Xing" was adapted into a drama, riiiiiiiiight?

When you asked for ~sageuk books~ the first thing that came to my mind was Jeannie Lin (the author). But her books are more about romance and not much. I don't like her books.

I think you're better off searching Goodreads. There are several categories and Listopia lists that could help you. For example... here, here or here !

Sorry I couldn't help more! I do read a lot, but I totally blanked out on recommendations.
Yes, I know :) (and I've seen both versions of it.) I added that one, because it came to my mind. By then I had thought about books so hard I'd forgotten what I'd written before ;) Unfortunately, so far I haven't even found a translation of it (ie haven't read it myself (yet)). I frequent goodreads frequently. But it's different from asking fellow drama addicts for their opinion.
Authors who are writting about Asia ect.

Pearl S. Buck - China, Japan and Korea :)
Anchee Min - China
Mingmei Yip - China
Lisa See - China
Jung Chang - China
Rani Manicka - Japan, India and other
Lesley Downer - Japan