EDIT: Oops! I meant to put this in Recommendations. I guess it could fit here too, but if the mods think they should move it then please do so. Hello, everyone! Recently I watched the first episode of the critically and publicly acclaimed drama Hanzawa Naoki. To be honest, I am unsure if I should continue. The extreme lack of female characters in it turns me off. Also, the one prominent female character, Hanzawa's wife, is extremely uninteresting to me. Don't get me wrong, the drama seems to be very well-written and Sakai Masato is a fantastic actor, but I guess that shows how important good, prominent female characters are to me in fiction. It's not that I won't enjoy the drama if there is a lack of good female characters, but I will feel like there is something missing, and it kind of gnaws at me the whole time I watch. Anyway, that is why I am asking you guys what your favorite dramas with good, interesting female characters are! By "interesting" I guess I mean "varied". Dramas where the female characters are different from one another, have flaws and strengths, and are just interesting to watch and see them grow. They don't even have to be leads--I loved the female characters in Bloody Monday despite the fact that they were basically all supporting characters. They interested me. There was also a good overall balance of genders. Any dramas where the female characters stand out will do!
I don't know if you share my taste, but some good dramas that come to mind: Orange Days The Tempest Slow Dance Shima no sensei Doctor X + Doctor X 2 (okay, so maybe not much of character growth but Michiko is one of my favourite female characters!)
Dal Ja's Spring in my opinion has very interesting second female lead. At the start it may seam like she is going to be a 'bad girl' but pretty soon her character develops and you see all sides of her. There is also a friendship that starts between her and female lead.
I'll move the thread for you. =)