I heard this series was very popular, but I got overwhelmed with the number of adaptations there are available for the series. I'm having a hard time figuring out which order I should see each adaptation if I have the patience to do so.

I guess I should start with the manga because the manga came out first. Then what? I know there is an anime (I think?) and dramas from Japan, Korea (you know the one with SS501's Hyun Joong), and Taiwan (I think).

So I need help with where to start. I'm sure many of you are experienced with watching this series. thanks for your help!
There's a manga, anime, Japanese version [oldest], Taiwan version [heard it's closest to the manga], then Korean Version.

Japanese version is called Itazura Na Kiss, Taiwan = It Started With A Kiss, Korean = Playful Kiss.

The only version I've seen so far is It Started With A Kiss and I highly recommend it (: Not sure about the others though.
The order of the live actions is as follows:
- 1st came Itazura na Kiss, the Japanese dorama adapted from the manga. I have tried this in the past but never got beyond half an episode because it's frankly badly acted and badly directed. As far as I know, it's pretty rushed too.
- Then came the Taiwanese version (It started with a Kiss), which is considered by the lovers of this story the best in terms of chemistry and general plot flow.
- The last version is the Korean one (Playful Kiss). I watched this one and I'm still asking myself why I bothered. I should have known better, since I don't like dramas where the heroine is a one-celled organism and the "hero" a marble jerk. Furthermore, this one is very rushed too, to the point some parts are simply incomprehensible, since they often jump from one day to 6 months after in the space of 5 minutes.

But if you can cope with this kind of plot, I'm ready to recommend the Taiwan version first. I have seen bits and pieces of it and, although not my favourite by far, it's a decent drama in terms of consistency and romance.
:)
amrita828 wrote: - The last version is the Korean one (Playful Kiss). I watched this one and I'm still asking myself why I bothered. I should have known better, since I don't like dramas where the heroine is a one-celled organism and the "hero" a marble jerk. Furthermore, this one is very rushed too, to the point some parts are simply incomprehensible, since they often jump from one day to 6 months after in the space of 5 minutes. :)

I almost hesitate to comment because I've only seen the Korean version and I loathed Playful Kiss for the horrible message it sends and the character of Oh Ha Ni. The reason why is the truth stated above by Rita. A girl who has no goal, no wish, no desire, no self worth other than how it revolves around a boy who could just about care less. This scenerio is passed off as cute and the miniscule crumbs he throws her by way off affection are touted as budding love from his point of view. NO...no no no. Any teenage girls out there looking for love or crushing on a boy...please please please never take this behavior as one you would ever tolerate. Okay sorry..Rant over.

Having said that...I am curious about the Taiwanese version because I also heard it is closer to the manga and the relationship between the two leads isn't like that of the Korean version. That is the one I wish I had started with. Someday I will watch it, me thinks.
jeanie65jh wrote: Having said that...I am curious about the Taiwanese version because I also heard it is closer to the manga and the relationship between the two leads isn't like that of the Korean version. That is the one I wish I had started with. Someday I will watch it, me thinks.

I haven't seen the Korean version [don't plan on it] but the Taiwanese version I watched a few weeks ago and loved. It's cheesy and unrealistic in parts, but it is based off a manga so expect it. The chemistry between the leads is great! Even though the main girl is sometimes embarrassing to watch because it's like she can't do anything on her own, I found myself cheering her on. She tries to do her best but her character isn't one that can do that much on her own. I also heard that Oh Ha Ni is like really stalkerish, haha. Xiang Qin is stalkerish in some parts, but I don't think it's too bad. And there are some really sweet moments in it, I loved the ending. Haven't seen They Kiss Again but I plan on watching it soon (: [Also Jiro's character in it is just hiliarious!] (:
I've watched Itazura na Kiss and Playful Kiss, can't bring myself to watch It Started With a Kiss.. If I had to recommend one of the three it would be the original Japanese version, simply because it does follow the manga pretty accurately, like amrita said, it is poorly acted. Playful Kiss, I have a lot of issues with, jeanie and amrita pointed out most of them, but my additional problems with it are: I CAN'T stand the actress who plays Oh Ha Ni, and in this version I find that they have made the female weaker than in both the manga and the original live version.
jeanie65jh wrote: I almost hesitate to comment because I've only seen the Korean version and I loathed Playful Kiss for the horrible message it sends and the character of Oh Ha Ni. The reason why is the truth stated above by Rita. A girl who has no goal, no wish, no desire, no self worth other than how it revolves around a boy who could just about care less. This scenerio is passed off as cute and the miniscule crumbs he throws her by way off affection are touted as budding love from his point of view. NO...no no no. Any teenage girls out there looking for love or crushing on a boy...please please please never take this behavior as one you would ever tolerate. Okay sorry..Rant over.

Having said that...I am curious about the Taiwanese version because I also heard it is closer to the manga and the relationship between the two leads isn't like that of the Korean version. That is the one I wish I had started with. Someday I will watch it, me thinks.

I totally agree with this. There's something very wrong about this story and the idea that someone may find it romantic is, indeed, disturbing. I watched the whole thing in the hope the main "heroine" (quotation marks are needed here) would grow a backbone; I thought her loving the clever guy would work like an incentive for her to improve, find a reason in life which didn't revolve around him, but I was disappointed.
He is an unfeeling jerk from beginning to end, but at least he tries to make her see the light, something for which he's even reprimanded by his über-silly mother (I know everybody loved her, but I thought her character was awful).

I was left wondering what sort of twisted message they wanted to send and the only answer I came up with is: "if you insist in the face of a hundred rejections, the guy will eventually say yes - no doubt out of exhaustion". :P
THae Taiwan version is better in my opinion. The lead character is less of a stalker and more of an innocent girl who is stuck on her first crush. Ariel Lin did a much better job than the girl in the Korean version. Plus Jiro Wang was adorable in it.
I agree with the general feeling of the thread - and put my vote in for It started with a kis. It was one of my first asian drama's, as I found a link on a streaming site where I was watching the anime (which I love). I followed it up with They kiss again (brilliant) and Playful Kiss (awful).
If you're going to watch any of them - go with the Taiwan, I know it's far longer than the rest, but it's necesarry in order to give the characters room. I agree with C4U - in parts I could hardly watch Xian Qin because I just wanted her to be good at SOMETHING (ANYTHING would have been OK). The second season really helps to balance out the one-sided relationship (something which was never even touched in the Korean) where you see Jiang Zhi Shu desperately pushing Xiang Qin to have more in her life, and the fact that he actually DOES love her (a lot) is clearly shown.
These two (but especially the second season) remain as my favourite dramas of all time.
abs wrote: I agree with the general feeling of the thread - and put my vote in for It started with a kis. It was one of my first asian drama's, as I found a link on a streaming site where I was watching the anime (which I love). I followed it up with They kiss again (brilliant) and Playful Kiss (awful).
If you're going to watch any of them - go with the Taiwan, I know it's far longer than the rest, but it's necesarry in order to give the characters room. I agree with C4U - in parts I could hardly watch Xian Qin because I just wanted her to be good at SOMETHING (ANYTHING would have been OK). The second season really helps to balance out the one-sided relationship (something which was never even touched in the Korean) where you see Jiang Zhi Shu desperately pushing Xiang Qin to have more in her life, and the fact that he actually DOES love her (a lot) is clearly shown.
These two (but especially the second season) remain as my favourite dramas of all time.

Thank you and Crazy for sharing your opinion. I have had It started with a kiss on my watching-list for quite a while, but I could never bring myself to actually watch it. I know I didn't start the thread and ask for suggestion, but your opinion are useful to me too. Now I'm seriously considering the idea of watching both Tw seasons. :D
If anything, we can come back here and rant! LOL
i've watched them in this order:

Korean -> Taiwanese -> Japanese

I like them this order:
Taiwanese -> Korean -> Japanese (worst)
i've seen the Japanese version only, i didn't mind it but it wasn't mindblowing or anything. never saw the korean or taiwanese versions but i did read the manga and watch the anime both of which are better than the drama
jeanie thought I should post this here (I just learnt how to do animated gifs!)
gotta love binnie's lips eh!?
abs wrote: jeanie thought I should post this here (I just learnt how to do animated gifs!)
gotta love binnie's lips eh!?

Abs! The "KISSING BOOTH THREAD" ...Feel free to leave this here..but dig a little deeper woman! Should be in General Asia or General Discussion somewhere...
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Sorry Abs, I'm not laughing at you but with you (or so I hope).
To think of Binnie associated with Playful Kiss is like imagining Kim Hyun Joong playing Hamlet at the Opera House. With the difference that Binnie would be believable. :p

The gif is lovely though. Good job!!! :D