I've seen so many negative reviews within the first week of release for 'Ancient Love Poetry' that I just want to give some advice to those wondering if they should give this drama a chance or not. 

Don't let the negative reviews stop you from watching this drama or any other dramas.
After years of watching chinese dramas(xianxia, historical, wuxia), I've learnt that many times negative reviews are very useless and biased. Even positive reviews are biased lol.

Most important you need to remember is that we all have different taste in dramas.
Before you watch it, read the summary, try to see if you can find more information about the story from its main source (for example, the novel) to help you determine if the story is your type. You need to look at the many themes such as; is it a sacrificing ml/fl type of story? amnesia? lifetimes? betrayal? etc.
After you check these things in the story of the drama and think it's your cup of tea then go ahead and watch it!

For me personally, I like to connect little details, look for foreshadowing, and use logical reasons(ex: gods don't physically age so ml and fl looking too young for some thousands years old god shouldn't be weird) to better understand why things are the way they are. Also have to consider the chinese censorship too when watching cdrama because they have an influence on the drama's final cut for airing (what can be shown in the drama and what can't).
I heard they also have a new rule saying dramas can't have more than 49 episodes now(maybe it's just for webdrama, i'll have to do more research about this topic). This will effect how the story flow. The drama might seem rush or choppy because they originally film for more than 50 eps but because of the chinese censorship, they have to cut everything down to only 49 eps.

If you are like me who likes to analyze when watching dramas&movies, then there's a chance you'll understand the story and like this drama.

My personal opinion about Ancient Love Poetry: I actually love this drama and would totally suggest it!

I would also like to add something about the plot: ❤️ This is not a Spoiler, don't worry~

Out of the famous Xian Xias I know, this drama was the first to show
 "The Most Unique Plot and Settings".

Firstly, a leader, a breadwinner, a civilian, a lover or even a parent could relatewith this drama effectively as this drama clearly and perfectly execute a script and characters narrating
The struggles and pain of loving even without gaining anything back; being a provider for a family; and lastly, the hardships of being a leader of a large group of people.

The Three Realms are NOT the famous and known Majestic Heavenly Realm, Awful Demon Realm and Poor/Weak Human Realm. The Heavenly Palace didn't even exist yet until EP16.

The Three Realms here is the Immortal Realm, Demon Realm, and the Huge God Realm.

Why no Human Realm? During the existence of God Realm, the Human Realm haven't even opened yet and didn't even exist yet. It only opened after EP 15/16 and seen during EP 31/32. Interesting right?~

The settings revolved around a timeline wherein Demons and Immortals coexist peacefully.

And the enemy is not the Demon Realm but the Devils.
The drama explained the Devil's reason for existence within EP 2.
They had the Devils be locked within a Netherworld that kept peace for 70000years.
But these Devils were NOT the real danger nor the conflict of this drama.
You will only know "why" if you watch.

These three realms had Four Powerful True Gods
that together rule with great leadership skills.
The Female Lead is initially the leader but someone acts as a substitute for her at first.

God Realm:

-The home to all the other Gods like Goddess of Day and God of Night; Goddess of Moon and Stars; Goddess of Snow; God of Disasters; Goddess of Rain; God of Thunder; etc.
-The God Realm hone talents through providing education (Through Bai Jue's teaching)
-The True Gods promote Immortals and take them as a disciple(Through the Day of the Chosen/EP9);
-It is as a free place for improving cultivation; keep peace through their commitment and powers.

Four True Gods: 
-Facilitate the God Realm together with the other Gods;
-Helps in distributing spiritual power(Through the Power of Chaos that protects the Three Realms) throughout to help lives be a lot better.
-Take even the Most Powerful Fire Phoenix only as a Spiritual Beast.  (The Xu Feng(Ashes of Love) we know is only deemed as a Spiritual Beast here HAHA )

Now, after reading all this, I will really wonder if you still had not found a motivation to watch this Xian Xia genre of a drama~

Thank you so much for creating this discussion~ ❤️
I commented what I wrote on another discussion similar to yours too
 to spread this drama's uniqueness~ ^-^ 

Thanks for the heads up....

@iamZ9 i want to comment about Xu Feng can be a beast for True God at best here. He remind me of Jingjian, they're also 2nd prince, and phoenix too lol. Father is muddledhead from love, Mother is cruel mean bitch, he has enemy to lover story. 

After this True God and God Realm drama seem to ruin me for other Xianxia drama with Heavenly Emperor. I mean look the Majestic Heavenly Emperor is just a vassal here. These True Gods can do whatever they want. No one will bully them with intricate palace intrigue haha. They're powerful, no one can boss them around, the most respected being. 

@Tasha yes! HAHA Shanggu, Zhi Yang, Bai Jue and Tian Qi are one of bestest of the best rulers or immortals I have found and so i too can no longer see the heavenly emperor and heavenly realm the same as “majestic” like in the past anymore! XD

but only unless there will be another drama that has a unique plot too! 

ALP boosted almost all drama lover’s expectations just like what Love and redemption did last year so I really really hope some upcoming xian xia dramas will be as amazing as ancient love poetry and love and redemption too~ ❤️

iamZ9:

@Tasha yes! HAHA Shanggu, Zhi Yang, Bai Jue and Tian Qi are one of bestest of the best rulers or immortals I have found and so i too can no longer see the heavenly emperor and heavenly realm the same as “majestic” like in the past anymore! XD

but only unless there will be another drama that has a unique plot too! 

ALP boosted almost all drama lover’s expectations just like what Love and redemption did last year so I really really hope some upcoming xian xia dramas will be as amazing as ancient love poetry and love and redemption too~ ❤️

Yes let's hope for more unique and eye opening novel to become drama. I feel sad that actually novel like Shang Gu and LAR didn't get translated (until recently) while other like overbearing president or abusive ML and such get translated. We international fans missing a lot of great stories.

tasha:

Yes let's hope for more unique and eye opening novel to become drama. I feel sad that actually novel like Shang Gu and LAR didn't get translated (until recently) while other like overbearing president or abusive ML and such get translated. We international fans missing a lot of great stories.

Maybe its because not a lot of people is willing to translate long novels since Xian Xia novels are mostly very very very long huhu T-T 

but because of this too, we can really truly appreciate the hard work of xian xia novels’ english translators ❤️