Minoucha:

Hello! Do you know who the Emperor wants Ali to marry (once she returns under the fake identity)? I read somewhere that he wants her to marry her ex! Why would he be against the Duke marrying Ali? And how does the marriage proposal happen in the book? Thanks :)

She never returns her identity. Characters not in the novel appear a bit out the blue in the novel: the Emperor's uncle and his son and daughter. The Royal uncle wants to usurp the throne and wants his son to marry the Jiang's famous and talented Di daughter to get a quick entry to the capital's noble class. He asked for the marriage as a reward for military success at a banquet and the Duke says "oh sorry, just got a decree to marry her! Pick another reward!" and it was the first time anyone knew of it? and it caused an uproar. 

The Emperor's depiction in the drama is not far off, he had to play down his ambition and strengths to win the crown prince battle with the support of a cowardly professional politician like Chancellor Jiang and the Empress who murdered his birth mother; so he's trying to get rid of the other factions and fill the court with courageous young blood. Also Jiang came up the ranks because he was the crown prince's tutor and liked to lay low but the Emperor needed the Duke's kind of "efforts"

@ DefyingDestiny 

Tnx for taking time to give us some novel inputs.

Hi guys, I read three novels by this author and I am so muddled up now about the particulars of the endings. Can someone tell me if this ending is HE (that one is easy as all three of them were haha) but short and there are quite a few sweet extras like Duke Su running somewhere to get special food to surprise his wifey for breakfast?

LuciaCalypso:

I read in the comments that she got pregnant by SY but couldn't marry him cuz he is still mourning his wife's death so she married Li family's first son but he was gay n pedo. Later she found out n I don't remember what happened. Then she fell down the stairs n miscarried n maids gossiped that her husband did it. Now the catch she was not preggo Duke Su did something medicinal things, JL's scheme got her married to Li son, n maid's gossip was Duke Su's plan. There's a lot of info missing cuz I don't remember them. 

In the teaser for the episode where she found out she is pregnant, it was revealed that JL poisoned the princess. 

DefyingDestiny:

She never returns her identity. Characters not in the novel appear a bit out the blue in the novel: the Emperor's uncle and his son and daughter. The Royal uncle wants to usurp the throne and wants his son to marry the Jiang's famous and talented Di daughter to get a quick entry to the capital's noble class. He asked for the marriage as a reward for military success at a banquet and the Duke says "oh sorry, just got a decree to marry her! Pick another reward!" and it was the first time anyone knew of it? and it caused an uproar. 

They gave the plot of trying to marry Jiang Li to Shen Yu Rong, I guess he'll also get the character arc of the Royal cousin and have some change of heart but still die because he has gone too far and is irredeemable. In the novel, the royal cousin kidnaps Jiang Li and holds her hostage to mess with Xiao Heng during the war. I guess they still want to keep this plot.

Regarding Jiang Yu Er. Did i miss a scene or two on her?  I don't remember seeing or hearing anything else after her scene by the bedside of Zhou Yan Bang. She's also a villain who tried to harm JL. Did she ever get punished for her crime/s?

AnastasiaWun:

Regarding Jiang Yu Er. Did i miss a scene or two on her?  I don't remember seeing or hearing anything else after her scene by the bedside of Zhou Yan Bang. She's also a villain who tried to harm JL. Did she ever get punished for her crime/s?

To my memory, she was never shown or mentioned again after that scene. Her parents were expelled from the Jiang family, and I'm wondering if that would've affected her standing in ZYB's family. While she's an inconsequential character, I would've liked to what really became of her goal to give birth to a child and become madame of the Zhou family. 

How long did the final battle last in the book please? From the growth of the tree at least 2/3 years

Reposting for @busterboy: 

I am so glad I read the ending in the book. I was confused if XH survived or died, and that was just XFF's dream of him returning. 

In the novel, XH goes to war and disappears. Everyone said he died in battle and his jade was returned to XFF. XFF waited for him despite everyone saying he died. She took care of the Su Manor and Ye ShiJie stayed by her side the whole time. A long time passed, and XFF couldn't move on. She decided to go to Qilin where XH reportedly was killed in battle to try to find his body., but it was reported his body couldn't be returned and was eaten by wolves. The army at the time had already returned to the capital and were victorious but XH never returned. XFF made her journey to Qilin and somewhere along the way, she and XH reunite!!!!! Ends up XH was actually badly injured and was blinded. The emperor didn't want him to reveal he was alive because he wanted all the rebels to reveal themselves. Also XH was very weak and if people knew he was alive, his life would be at risk. He learned to live amongst the commoners. He wanted to tell XFF he was alive and even went to visit her secretly but the emperor didn't trust XFF since she knew too much. He told XH, if XFF doesn't end up remarrying after a year, they can reunite....something like that. And he agreed to cure XH's eyes. If she remarries, she will have her killed since she knew too much. In the novel, the emperor had grown to be distrustful. So I am at the part where they have reunited...woohoo!!! XH doesn't die <3 When he returns, they are granted a marriage. So what we see in 40.5 happens after he went missing and returns. Someone wrote that that was during the 8 years together before he goes to battle but it's actually after. The battle /war happens very soon after SYR dies.

XH prepared all the dowry before he went to war and even embroidered the jewels himself on XFF's wedding gown. So sweet! After they got married, XH loved XFF very much and it's almost like his world revolved only around her. Whatever she loved, he loved. There was a sweet part where he goes early to line up for red bean cakes just like the commoners instead of asking the servants. He enjoyed doing everyday trivial things as he never had the chance to do that in the past. He also took XFF traveling as she hoped to see the world. They were a super sweet couple and XFF comments she never would have imagined she would meet someone who would love her as much as XH <3

https://mydramalist.com/profile/busterboy

It is similar to the c-drama in that the step-mom plots with her sister the concubine to perform an exorcist on the FL.  With the help of Duke Su, the FL lead finds a ventriloquist to attend the exorcism.   

The difference is that the exorcist is not the step-mom's lover, like is portrayed in the drama.  Instead he is a con man.  The step-mom does not know that the FL lead knows all her secrets which include killing the oldest daughter and covering it up, having an affair and getting pregnant, framing the FL by saying she pushed her down the stairs and that is why she lost the baby, and plotting all along to get into the family.  

In the book, all of this comes out when the ventriloquist pretends to be the girl she killed and her lover and is able to get her to admit that she is a murder and she plotted to send the FL away.  In short, the step-mom admitted to her crimes in the book.  She was later poisoned.  It was a very satisfying moment in the book.