Hi there! I've been wanting to introduce a group of
friends of mine to Japanese drama and recently they have agreed to give it a shot. Naturally I'm viciously plotting to get them thoroughly hooked, and I'm stuck trying to find just the right drama. I am less concerned with genre and more with finding something engaging, beautiful, humorous and/or thrilling. Something that'll make you want to keep watching. Does anyone have a good idea for a Japanese drama which would leave a good first impression for new eyes?
what i can think of is Liar Game
hello. i second Liar Game, probably the one that have it all to hook someone. 
other suggestions : Bloody Monday, Hanakimi, Kazoku game, Waterboys...
It also depends on the age of your friends, cause those should work better for teenagers or young adults.
I think Liar Game. Of course I can think of many others that made me want to keep watching but these things are often a matter of personal taste. Liar Game seems to be popular with almost anyone so I think it's a safe choice. The trickier part is drama #2 and #3, to make sure your friends are properly hooked, because of course you want them to keep watching after the first one... I think by then you can guide them based on their reactions to Liar Game. 

I loved the first j-drama that I watched, Rich Man, Poor Woman... but that's just me; many people didn't like it at all. Watching it made me want more, that's the main point, however I found it hard to go on. The second drama I tried was Hanakimi because people in my Japanese class recommended it; however I did not even finish the first episode, I just didn't like it. (It's so popular I might give it another try someday though.) Then I tried one called 100 proposals or something; didn't watch more than one episode. My third try was 14 sai no haha, and I did watch a few episodes but didn't get hooked. By then I was ready to give up on trying to watch j-drama (my main reason for wanting to at first was the language). What saved me was the fact that I realized I wanted to see more of Iura Arata from RMPW, so I did, and I'm so glad I did! I then watched Hana yori dango (with all the story's flaws, it was strangely addicitve even to a 30-something) and the rest is history... :)
You can classify japanese drama into 2 types.

manga type = if your friends didnt watch anime im sure they will got annoyed by overacting by the actors..so stay away on that if i were you
ex. of manga types.....gokusen, liar game, gto, densha otoko, my boss my hero, hana yori dango etc,

serious type = this one I recommend if they were new to japanese drama since the story and the acting is same like in any country they were from.
ex. one liter of tears, mother, ozosaki no himawari, byakuyakou, woman, all about my siblings etc.
You can classify japanese drama into 2 types.

manga type = if your friends didnt watch anime im sure they will got annoyed by overacting by the actors..so stay away on that if i were you
ex. of manga types.....gokusen, liar game, gto, densha otoko, my boss my hero, hana yori dango etc,

serious type = this one I recommend if they were new to japanese drama since the story and the acting is same like in any country they were from.
ex. one liter of tears, mother, ozosaki no himawari, byakuyakou, woman, all about my siblings etc.
Something that makes you want to keep watching? Hmm... well there are a lot!

But, how could someone take their eyes off of "Ichi Rittoru no Namida" or "Sekai no Chuushin de Ai wo Sakebu"? Those dramas stole my heart and I think really hooked me on Japanese dramas. I think anyone would love them! 

For something fun, that you can make great drinking games to, Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (Hana Kimi)! And I think even people who have never watched Japanese drama could laugh and enjoy the ridiculousness of it!
one litre of tears 
pro dai
code blue