So, lately I've been really wanting to watch a good historical drama preferably one with a good plot and strong characters. If possible, I would like one that is similar to any of the following:
Jewel in the Palace
Goddess of Fire
Great Queen Seon Deok
empress Ki
mostly as you can tell from my list above, I prefer dramas that have a strong, ambitious, and smart female lead. Also, I didn't much care for sunkyunkwan scandal or the moon that embraces the sun. while I enjoyed them, they weren't my favorites. I really enjoy dramas where the main female lead seeks revenge.  Any recommendations?
Other than Empress Ki, my favorite historical is The Bridal Mask.  The story is set in the 1930s, so the setting is pretty unique as far as kdramas go, and the characters are well done.  There's quite a bit of action, and the plot moves well.  I don't personally think that Mok Dan was as strong and ambitious as some leading ladies (especially Empress Ki - love her), but Rara made up for that for me.

I honestly started watching it for the same reason you're looking for recommendations (I love strong female leads also), but the male leads, Kang To and Shunji, are what keep me coming back.  Good luck in your search!
I strongly recommend The Princess' Man. It has a strong female lead. It is a revenge story (it's mainly the male that seeks revenge though). It's so good! Watch it now! :D
thanks for the recommendations! They both look super amazing!
King's Daughter Soo Baek Hyang is amaing!! Strong female character, lovely lovely lovely romance and a pretty decent villain!! I love it! It's quite long but the plot and characters makes it seem the opposite.
King's Daughter Soo Baek Hyang is amaing!! Strong female character, lovely lovely lovely romance and a pretty decent villain!! I love it! It's quite long but the plot and characters makes it seem the opposite.
I second King's Daughter, Soo Baek Hyang.  I just recently finished that one (in less than a week - fastest marathon ever for me - LOL!!) and thought it was simply wonderful.  I think it fits all the criteria you've asked for.  :)