Hey guys. I've been really out of the drama loop for the past year or two. Can someone give me a run-down on the hottest dramas right now and maybe even some from 2016? 

As for K-dramas, these seem to have been talked about a lot (their ratings are also high):

Strong Woman Do Bong Soon
Fight For My Way
Suspicious Partner
The Bride of Habaek
Hit the Top

As for 2016 (+early 2017):

Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
Goblin
Descendants of the Sun
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo
Cheese in the Trap
W
Signal

Those above just seem to be the dramas that have been discussed a lot online (not particularly on MDL, which I can't really tell since I'm new here). But, there are definitely a lot more must-watch dramas from 2016/2017! I think it just depends on the genre. If you were more into OCN-like, crime/thriller dramas, the list would have probably looked different.

Edit: I see that your favorite actor is Jang Hyuk; you should definitely watch Voice then, if you're into mystery/investigation dramas! :)
Here are few of the dramas that have become popular recently:

Goblin
: A fantasy-romance drama about a deity who has been alive for 900-something years, looking for his bride, who can lift the curse of immortality from him.

Signal
:   (No Romance) A supernatural thriller drama about a profiler who one day finds a walkie talkie, which helps him connect to a detective from the past. Together they work on solving many cold cases.

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo : A drama about a girl who is a weightlifter. A rom-com youth story of how she finds love where she least expected it.

Strong Woman Do Bong Soon: Drama about a girl who has super-strength. It's about how she takes on a serial killer. And also, finds the love of her life.

Chicago Typewriter: A heartwarming story about three friends. One is a writer in slump, one is a ghostwriter, and one is an obsessed fan of the aforementioned writer. One of the best dramas about comradeship (and romance, obviously)

Fight For My Way: A rom-com youth drama. About long time friends becoming lovers.

Defendant: (No Romance) A drama about a prosecutor (Ji Sung) who wakes one day to find himself in prison for murdering his wife and his daughter is missing. But he can't remember anything. The drama is about how he fights the antagonist (a brilliant one, btw) and his own memories to find his daughter.

Stranger: (No Romance) Recently finished airing and is very popular drama. You'll have no idea who's the good guy and who's the bad one. A compelling drama about murder, corruption and politics. Brilliant written and acted.

Circle: (No Romance) A sci-fi drama. The story is divided into two parts- 2017 & 2037. Again, a brilliantly written drama.

Tunnel : (No Romance) A drama about a detective from 1980s who time travels to the future while chasing down a culprit.

Descendants Of The Sun: if you haven't heard about it already, reaaaaally popular show. Both in S.K & internationally. Features Song Joong Ki & Song Hye Kyo (who are about to get married soon!). Drama takes place in a fictional land. The second couple is really cute too.

The Best Hit: The story about a self-centered guy who used to be a member of a popular band J2 in the 90s. he time-travels to the future, and learns about friendship and love. Never a dull moment. a fun light watch. Nothing serious going on.

Chief Kim: (No Romance) A hilarious, hilarious drama. You'll love it, for sure! About corporate politics, but it's far from boring or uninteresting. A wacky 'villain' and even a wackier 'hero'. Even the supporting characters did a great job! 

Phew, got a bit long! But hope this helps :)
This will show you all the most popular dramas after 2015 http://mydramalist.com/browse/all?types[]=68&types...