I've watched a lot of kdramas, cdramas, tdramas, and some vdramas, but I would also like to watch some jdramas. I want to learn more about Japan's actors, and not just think about anime whenever I think of Japan. I have watched some Japanesse movies, but I would love to watch some of their dramas. I like the rags-to-riches theme, or historical, I also love dramas with birth secrets. I also love thrillers, mysteries, and crime dramas, but I would like to watch those after I know the style and actors more. I would like to start with something cliche if possible. What are some good dramas that can get me started in the jdrama world.

When it comes to Japanese dramas I would definitely recommend miura haruma's The hours of my life ( a tearjerker) and All the precious things you taught me - he's a fab actor!

Please love the useless me

Todome no kiss

Hanzawa naoki 

Gokusen 1 and 3

Hana yori dango both seasons

Most of shota matsuda dramas are my favs- liar game both seasons and movie

Senyuu tantei tokage

Don quixote

Regatta

seto koji - tumbling,  Sleeping jukujo

Ashi girl.. a light fantasy ROM

Kahogo no kahoko fam drama

From 5 to nine ROM drama

Nodame cantebile music 

Flowers for Algernon ROM life.

Enjoyy

Thank You very much! I will check them out. They all sound very interesting.

I asked the exact same question a while ago and someone recommended Love Shuffle and Nobuta wo Produce. Watched and liked both of them, even though jdramas are not typically my cup of tea. Good Morning Call was pretty good for a beginner, too. 

The one that really got me into JDramas was From 5 to 9!! I really recommend it :D 

These are all cliche and cute.. but v good.