I recently realized I'm quite out of the loop in this department, and I was wondering if you can help me! What would you say are the best/most recommended Japanese horror movies from, say, 2014 on?

I don't really like splatter/exploitation movies, I love ghost/supernatural stories, silly teenage horror, death game stories and short stories compilations. Keep in mind that I understand Japanese quite well so obscure movies with no subs are very welcome recs too! Thank you very much in advance!! :D

I can only tell you what I have seen, if you wanna check them out that is up to you  Most are outside your range specifications but this is my experience

Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl (2009 and out of your date range but I loved it)
Too Young To Die! (2016 more of a comedy with horror theme but again I enjoyed it)
Suicide Circle (this one was so bad it hurt 2002 )
Shrill Cries of Summer (2008)
Reincarnation (2006)
Re:Mind (2017 I did not care for this, but you might)
Dead Waves (2006 ehhh hmm this was odd)
Chasing World  2015..not good
Terraformas 2016 not good

If you click this link it show you everything MDL had between 2014-2018 with a horror tag from Japan

https://mydramalist.com/search?adv=titles&ty=77&co=1&ge=14&re=2014,2018&so=relevance

OldAnimeLady:

I can only tell you what I have seen, if you wanna check them out that is up to you  Most are outside your range specifications but this is my experience

Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl (2009 and out of your date range but I loved it)
Too Young To Die! (2016 more of a comedy with horror theme but again I enjoyed it)
Suicide Circle (this one was so bad it hurt 2002 )
Shrill Cries of Summer (2008)
Reincarnation (2006)
Re:Mind (2017 I did not care for this, but you might)
Dead Waves (2006 ehhh hmm this was odd)

If you click this link it show you everything MDL had between 2014-2018 with a horror tag from Japan

https://mydramalist.com/search?adv=titles&ty=77&co=1&ge=14&re=2014,2018&so=relevance

Thank youuu, I was kind of hoping you would reply to this thread because you always have some useful tips! I've already seen Rinne and Re:Mind (and yeah it was completely silly but I enjoyed it), but I will definitely check out the other ones! I'm very interested in Shrill Cries of Summer, since I've already read the manga ad watched the anime!

Thank you , i am now going through the link i sent you and mixing them in with my ptw I love a good horror movie every now and a gain just to break up the sugary school romances I tend to drift to.

You can always just browse my Plan to watch list and see if any of the ones that caught my eye interest you, you may get to them before me (btw I never pay attention to MDL rating, because i like to think for myself and decide)

Oh add to that Museum..I did see this 2016 Oguri Shun did great...

OldAnimeLady:

Thank you , i am now going through the link i sent you and mixing them in with my ptw I love a good horror movie every now and a gain just to break up the sugary school romances I tend to drift to.

You can always just browse my Plan to watch list and see if any of the ones that caught my eye interest you, you may get to them before me (btw I never pay attention to MDL rating, because i like to think for myself and decide)

Oh add to that Museum..I did see this 2016 Oguri Shun did great...

Oguri Shun???? say no more, it's on my watchlist starting from right now

Sakakibara:

Oguri Shun???? say no more, it's on my watchlist starting from right now

In the feeds today I added snakes and earrings..please read the disclaimer, it is also tagged horror, but more like life train wreck horror also oguri shun for a tiny bit

OldAnimeLady:

In the feeds today I added snakes and earrings..please read the disclaimer, it is also tagged horror, but more like life train wreck horror also oguri shun for a tiny bit

I read the book almost 10 years ago and I remember not liking it very much, but I might give the movie a chance!