I've spent the last two years or so watching mostly Korean dramas. I've seen a handful of Japanese dramas, but nothing that really got me hooked onto them. I'm slowly growing tired of all of the cliches they toss into Korean dramas, so I'd like to switch it up for a little while and watch others. The only problem is that the Japanese ones I have seen are very exaggerated. I get that that seems to be a big thing with Japanese shows, but I'm hoping there are some that aren't nearly as...wacky.
I recommend you watch 3-iron
1 litre 14 sai no haha densha otoko are all based on real life stories
Taisetsu na Koto wa Subete Kimi ga Oshiete Kureta - Recently loved. I think the acting wasn't exagerrated for this one.

Kimi wa Petto

Maou
1 litre of tears is a must watch.
not sure to understand what you are looking for, but I could recommend Sunao ni narenakute. But the fisrt that popped into my mind when reading your post was Ninkyo Helper. While reading the plot, you may think it could be another silly one (i thought the same, and avoided it for a long time). Watching it was a big shock. Not funny at all, but questions important and actual issues.
itsuka hi no ataru basho de - no cliche nagareboshi kagi no kakata heya maou ryusei no kizuna freeter ie o kau iryu team medical dragon QED team batista Trick Shinzanmono well basically - if you have watched the romance j-stuff they would be indeed not so serious (like dun expect serious stuff from Hana yori dango. that story is overrated to the point of disgust - i won;t even go in detail on how annoying cliche ares >.> ) Most japanese dramas though are serious :3
Currently hooked into 'karamazov no kyodai' suspense, psycological, dark others, Genre-drama Orange days Yamato nadesiko last christmas Attention plz Byakuyakou Kekkon dekinai Genre- medical Doctor x Genre- detective/police Boss Hero Mr brain Galileo Genre- high school Sprout Life
Wow, that's way more than I was expecting! Lol. Thanks for all of the recommendations!
I've had a few of those on my PTW list for ages now, so I'll have to make sure to start on those pronto.
It seems that if I want a good J-Drama, I need to keep an eye out for Kimura Takuya and Hiroshi Abe. I saw those two guys a lot in your suggestions.
Here's my long list of less wacky JDramas. I prefer more story driven shows too so hopefully there will be something in here for you. If you want to know something specific about any of these just ask. :) Osozaki no Himawari Last Friends Sprout Piece Rich Man Poor Woman Bunshin Kazoku no Uta Holyland Last Money ~ Price of Love Boku to Star no 99 Nichi Soredemo Ikite Yuku Brother Beat Aozora no Tamago Tenshi no Wakemae Guilty Akuma to Keiyakushita Onna First Kiss Boku no Dake no Madonna Maou Nagareboshi Clone Baby Quartet Hi wa mata Noboru Ryusei no Kizuna Taisetsu na koto wa subete kimi ga oshiete kureta Love Shuffle (Funny but also has a serious side) Daisuki!! Tatta Hitotsu no Koi Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora Orange Days Sunao ni Narenakute Aikurushii Cat Street Akai Ito Yasha Tsuki no Koibito Innocent Love Sweet Room Dr. Koto's Clinic 1/2 + Specials Strawberry On the Shortcake Long Love Letter Voice Shiroi Haru Triangle