Preferably dramas that get to the depth of the main relationship (aka not just innocent, cutesy scenes that shy away from sexual happenings etc). The main relationship has to either be the focus of the entire drama, or if it isn't the focus, it has to at least be a major, major part, and the rest of the political dealings or whatever is the focus have to actually be good. I would also really prefer if it stayed mostly consistent in quality throughout (aka Moon that Embraces the Sun doesn't fit because it majorly falls in quality after the childhood years).
So, it has to have:

• a satisfying romance that is not childlike
  • the main couple has to be the major plot/part of the story (but forgivable if they aren't if the story otherwise is good enough)
  • consistent in quality all the way through, with no tragic endings please (unless it's like all-time good that I would forgive it, but the most "tragic" I can handle is like the ending of the Princess's Man)
  • a little bit of obsession doesn't hurt! & love triangles are okay as long as they don't reach the point of absolute hatred for the second male or female lead like in Delightful Girl Chun Hyang or Ashes of Love
  • I really don't care if it's an older or current drama, just as long as there are subs!

My favourites of this genre from different Asian & Eurasian countries: the super obvious Eternal Love (w Mark Chao <3 & Yang Mi) from China, I like Ashes of Love a lot too but that lead relationship didn't end up being quite AS satisfying. Dong Yi, The Princess's Man and Jewel in the Palace for kdrama. Vatanim Sensin (I super, super recommend this if you like any of the above, seriously just watch it) for Turkish series & Poor Nastya for Russian drama. Right now I'm on a cdrama kick, but any country would work.

*I'm currently trying to watch The Story of Ming Lan & while I love the way that it's shot so, so much, I don't know if I should continue because I'm not that huge of a fan of the lead actress nor do any of the relationships grip me so far, and the romance hasn't even started. Is it worth it to watch through?

In response to ahsaaful recommending Story of Yanxi Palace - It is a good historical drama, but based on what you want, it does not fit your criteria. The romance, to me, is not satisfying and it is definitely NOT the main focus of the drama. The main focus is her getting revenge. It also fits your definition of "tragic." So no, I do not recommend this for the romance.

EDIT:

ALSO! The Prince of Lan Ling is TRAGIC! Do not watch this if you want to be happy afterwards! Lol.

ahsaaful:
  1. An Oriental Odyssey 
  2. Cinderella Chef 
  3. Legend of Yun Xi 
  4. Prince of Lan Ling 
  5. Story of Yanxi Palace 
  6. The Princess Wei Young 
  7. The Story of Ming Lan  Totally worth, it's one of the most good Historical Dramas' I have seen.

Watched them all and hated then all. These are sooo overrated and are the opposite of what she is looking for. The romance is so-so and often childlike (compared to dramas like Eternal Love, Sound of the desert or Ashes of love).

ahsaaful:
  1. An Oriental Odyssey 
  2. Cinderella Chef 
  3. Legend of Yun Xi 
  4. Prince of Lan Ling 
  5. Story of Yanxi Palace 
  6. The Princess Wei Young 
  7. The Story of Ming Lan  Totally worth, it's one of the most good Historical Dramas' I have seen.

Thank you so much for the  Ming Lan push, I actually did end up finishing it....and then started and watched it all over again, which I've never done before with any show. I loved it THAT much, and Minglan/Gu Tingye have become one of my favourite (if not my favourite) historical drama couples ever, probably equal to Hileon from Vatanim Sensin, and surpassed everyone else. 

Marine:

Thank you so much for the  Ming Lan push, I actually did end up finishing it....and then started and watched it all over again, which I've never done before with any show. I loved it THAT much, and Minglan/Gu Tingye have become one of my favourite (if not my favourite) historical drama couples ever, probably equal to Hileon from Vatanim Sensin, and surpassed everyone else. 

Very glad to hear that you like it too. Yes, they were one of the best couples for me too. :)

Maybe I'm writting this late but I recommend Empress Ki. It's one of the best dramas I have watched, story is well done, interesting and addicting. Only problem is that ending is tragic, but I think it's not that extreme and this drama is worth it. Another one I recommend is Hwang Jin Yi. This drama is not that popular and definitely underrated. Romance is not entirely main point but the story is good and there are lots of support characters with interesting backstory.

Kdramalover203:

Maybe I'm writting this late but I recommend Empress Ki. It's one of the best dramas I have watched, story is well done, interesting and addicting. Only problem is that ending is tragic, but I think it's not that extreme and this drama is worth it. Another one I recommend is Hwang Jin Yi. This drama is not that popular and definitely underrated. Romance is not entirely main point but the story is good and there are lots of support characters with interesting backstory.

I'm usually not the biggest fan of Ha Jiwon or Ji Changwook, but I love the setting, so I think I'll finally check it out. Thank you!

I think you should stick with Ming Lan, even if you skip... everyone says its really slow at the start, and tbh I took so long to get into it, but after the SPOILER; marry its actually really good, but depends if you want to stick with it.

Also have you tried more modern historical like; Battle of Changsha, Gunman in Joseon, Mr Sunshine, Siege in Fog and Rookie Agent Rouge? I can't really remember the endings though, but these are generally shorter and faster paced. Off the top of my head I think that BOC, GIJ and RAR all had happyish endings while the rest were bittersweet, but don't quote me and check if you don't want to put yourself through it. Considering you've mentioned some Fantasy historical romance, have you also tried more light hearted stuff like Gu family Book, Oh My General and The Eternal Love (not Eternal love)?,  although you might find these childish. Im also going to throw in Legend of Fuyao and Princess Agents which are sooo good but have messed up endings, there are loads of really good historical dramas but I didn't mention any with annoying FLs. Someone already mentioned Empress Ki, but really do watch it, it's amazing. I'm sorry I literally went on a rant about my favourite Historical Dramas, but I hope it helped??

Thousand_Paper_Cranes:

I think you should stick with Ming Lan, even if you skip... everyone says its really slow at the start, and tbh I took so long to get into it, but after the SPOILER; marry its actually really good, but depends if you want to stick with it.

I did end up sticking to it, and after finishing the first time, I started it all over again, I'm actually in love with it :))))))))

Thousand_Paper_Cranes:
Also have you tried more modern historical like; Battle of Changsha, Gunman in Joseon, Mr Sunshine, Siege in Fog and Rookie Agent Rouge?

I have not (except for Gunman in Joseon) but I'll definitelyyyyy give a few of these a try, especially Mr Sunshine which I've been putting off for ages because I don't generally like anything by Kim Eun Sook, but as I know it's supposed to be amazing, there's no way I won't make the attempt!

Thousand_Paper_Cranes:
Someone already mentioned Empress Ki, but really do watch it, it's amazing. I'm sorry I literally went on a rant about my favourite Historical Dramas, but I hope it helped??

Omg no, thank you so much! I'll look through the synopsis of each & def give them a try. Gu Family Book didn't quite work for me but I think I might start The Eternal Love. I sometimes like wuxia, but The Legend of Fuyao hasn't gripped me yet (I watched like the first 5ish episodes) so should I try to stick with it?

Based on your description, you would probably like Cuo Dian Yuan Yang (it has 2 seasons, though the 2nd one is sometimes named differently). Great chemistry between the leads (Qi Ji is super yummy in it), hot kisses, and almost all the characters implied to have sex (sorry for the boldness, but that's a plus imo, and something rare for an Asian Historical Drama). Also a good story, with a relaxed pace, but sometimes overdramatic - but don't worry it has a happy ending for ALL the characters! :)

Also, Sound of the Desert (though you have to be a little patient until Eddie Peng comes along ;) )

@Marine, I think that it does get slightly better, although not much, plus I was disappointed in the typically messed up ending.

Marine:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the main couple in Ming Lan are actually married in real life! So that probably helped with the chemistry. Haha.

Just going to say now, watch arthdal chronicles, on Netflix and only two episodes out so don’t know anything about the ending etc. But it is soooGOOD!