We get dramas by the truckload with the handsome male lead falling for the average looking female lead dynamic. I know it's because it's supposed to play up to some fantasy drama writers think all women want to see, but I'm kinda tired of it. 

Now what I'm wondering is if there are reversals of this? I want to see a drama targeted towards women where the male lead is just a normal dude. He's not revered as this super handsome prize that the female lead somehow managed to win and I'd prefer it if the female lead was the more conventionally attractive one.

Also, please don't bite my head off for this. I know beauty is subjective. There were many dramas where the female lead was put down for her looks as if she was somehow "average" and not up to the guy's standards but I personally found her stunning and more attractive than the ML (ex. Boss and Me. How the hell the writers expected us to find Zhao Li Ying anything other than gorgeous is beyond me). I'm not saying the actors in these roles are average (or whatever average even means), I'm saying that's how it's portrayed in the drama. 

Another miss oh

Love affairs in the afternoon 

Love in sadness 

Ho Goo's Love

Girls' Generation 1979

emaureeng:

Accidental Couple (KOR) - She is a glamorous actress having a secret affair with the son of a prominent politician (engaged to another woman, but not by choice). At night the car crashes while avoiding a collision, and the only witness is a postal employee who is one of her fans. The lover leaves when she talks the fan into pretending that he was the other person in her car. Not surprisingly, the paparazzi leap for the story about this very unlikely couple. You want ordinary? He reminds me of Mister Bean.

I've only watched the first few episodes, but plan to go back.

Your comment cracked me up. Thank you for the suggestion!

ysi:

Ho Goo's Love

Girls' Generation 1979

I was thinking Ho Goo's Love was probably my best bet from what I've read about it. Thank you for the help :D

Shxxkz199:

Another miss oh

Love affairs in the afternoon 

Love in sadness 

I've heard really good things about Another Miss Oh, I'm excited to watch it. Thank you for the other recs as well!

looktothestars:

Ahhh so many!! Thank you!

forgot this one https://mydramalist.com/16391-ms.-temper-nam-jung-gi 

and if you want a drama about 3 strong females check this one too https://mydramalist.com/32007-www 

Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu (We Married as a Job)  -  the japanese precursor to Because this is My First Life

Clean with passion for now 

If you really mean "average look", you may try these jdramas:

Otousan to Yobasete - If you don't mind age gap, this is about FL who is in love with a guy same age with her dad. Light comedy drama.

Takane no Hana - Not to be confused with "Takane TO Hana", this is about an average (early 40s) guy falls for higher status FL. Light romance with some comedy.

Dai Renai - Engaged FL falls for an average looking 40-ish poor novelist guy. Romance.

Wani to Kagegisu - Pretty girl next door FL falls for 40-ish guy who works as security guard at local supermarket. Genre unknown, with a mix of suspense, mystery and action. But not sure if this drama is targeting women though...LOLz

JoanneSmith:

Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu (We Married as a Job)  -  the japanese precursor to Because this is My First Life

I LOVED Because this is My First Life, I'll have to check that one out!

TimiZero:

If you really mean "average look", you may try these jdramas:

Otousan to Yobasete - If you don't mind age gap, this is about FL who is in love with a guy same age with her dad. Light comedy drama.

Takane no Hana - Not to be confused with "Takane TO Hana", this is about an average (early 40s) guy falls for higher status FL. Light romance with some comedy.

Dai Renai - Engaged FL falls for an average looking 40-ish poor novelist guy. Romance.

Wani to Kagegisu - Pretty girl next door FL falls for 40-ish guy who works as security guard at local supermarket. Genre unknown, with a mix of suspense, mystery and action. But not sure if this drama is targeting women though...LOLz

It looks like J dramas are where to look for this scenario lol. Thank you!