I just finished watching Switched and I realized I really like school dramas that have that sort of vibe to them. I can't really explain it but ones that deal with serious issues, or have an underlying mystery that needs to be solved, or even supernatural. But the vibe is sort of dark?

A BONUS would be if there was a "romance" subplot with a happy ending. I don't mean full blown romance but like, for there to be good chemistry between the leads and they actually end up together in the end?  

For reference dramas I've seen that fit this vibe:

1. Switched

2. Gakkou no Kaidan

3. Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge

Basically any school (or even college) drama that fits this description will do. Except not something that's like episodic format school dramas that deal with serious issues usually use that's like: episode 1 we'll deal with student A episode 2 deals with student B's story etc (35 sai no koukousei comes to mind)

I prefer Japanese but I'm open to try anything!

If you don't mind movie recommendations, you might like The Little Girl Who Conquered Time and I Are You, You Am Me (both made by the same director).

Again, a movie recommendation: Hyouka

For a Drama, Solomon's Perjury. I've not seen the J original, but I really enjoyed the K Drama.

If you don't mind anime recommendations, you might like Revolutionary Girl Utena and Princess Tutu.

Age of rebellion- A bit of a mix, mostly dark- especially at the beginning