I'm trying to learn Japanese but I am an absolute beginner. I can understand some things without subs but some shows are harder than others. Does anyone have recommendations for shows that are good to watch without subs? Kimi Ni Todoke, for instance, I found easier to understand. Especially since Sawako speaks so slowly and people tend to speak slower to her.
Romantic comedies, school dramas and light detective dramas are easiest for me. The vocabulary becomes familiar very quickly. The first drama I watched without subs and actively listened to was Nakuna, Hara-chan. I was surprised by how much I understood and it gave me confidence to keep trying and learning. xD

From this year/last year, Otenki Onee-san, Yakou Kanransha, Naru Youni Narusa, Dragon Seinendan, MONSTERS were all easy enough to understand. Kazoku Game was harder with all the fast dialogue, especially Kamiki. Hanzawa Naoki was impossible.

And watching variety is good for getting used to quickfire Japanese, since it's partially Japanese-subtitled anyway.

edit: Just realised my recommendations are a bit Kanjani-biased... Apologies.
This is going to sound kind of mean, but basically anything with Johnny's Juniors. The dialogue for those dramas is really simplistic and the actors speak really slow (because they really can't act :/). Off the top of my head I can think of Pin to Kona, Piece, Sprout, Kamen Teacher, Shiritsu Bakaleya KouKou, Bad Boys J Risou no Musuko, Beginners, and Gokusen. Pretty much any high school romance drama will have simple dialogue. Boy's love movies also have that really slow spoken dialogue as well since they usually aren't very well acted. I'd recommend the Takumi-kun series. Yankee dramas are pretty easy too since their vocabulary isn't that varied since they're high school delinquents. I can think of Gokusen, Tumbling, Majisuka Gakuen, Asuko March, and Rookies. Tl;dr: Basically any high school drama, cheesy romance, boys' love, and dramas with yankees. I have been watching without subs for quite a while now. For anything with more "complicated" vocabulary, I use Japanese subs since I can figure out a lot of word meanings based of the meaning of the kanji, and it makes it easier to look up words I don't know. Also, good reading practice. From what I learned, all you really have to learn is the basics of the language, such as sentence structures, verb conjugations, greetings and formalities and at least the core 2000 vocabulary before you can begin understanding anything. After that, everything will basically learn itself. I wouldn't worry myself with unnecessary complicated grammar; it isn't fun to learn and most of it you don't need. Learn the basic essential grammar, then pick up the rest from immersion. At first, you will not understand anything, but don't be discouraged! The more you listen, the more you will understand. If you don't understand anything, just tell yourself "I don't understand this now, but I will in the future." Just keep listening and keep learning. Watch lots of Japanese variety without subtitles even if you don't understand anything. After a while you will find yourself understanding without knowing it. Listen to Japanese everyday without fail. And keep watching dramas, of course. If you have any other questions, just ask. :)
Panda-san wrote: I use Japanese subs since I can figure out a lot of word meanings based of the meaning of the kanji, and it makes it easier to look up words I don't know. Also, good reading practice.

Pretty much. Kanji is a saviour, so don't shy away from it. =)
femmedesneiges: These sound good! Thank you! I really like Korean variety but I don't know any japanese shows...any suggestions?
Panda-san, thanks! Great suggestions. I was afraid of kanji at first and then i realized I can get an idea of what a word means even if I haven't learned it yet, from looking at the characters. I've never studied Korean or Mandarin but I understand more in Korean and Taiwanese dramas than I do in Japanese. I think you are right, it's just because I watched way more. So I will watch as many dramas as I can. Sounds fun, actually. :)
I don't think i will be able to watch the Dramas or Movies without subs. it'll become curiosity that what they are talking in that situation i feel really bored. i'll never watch the drama or movie without subs.
Gaj10, that was a thoughtful contribution to this discussion. OP I watch a lot of Japanese variety. Shows I recommend are VS Arashi, Arashi ni Shiyagare, Himitsu no Arashi-chan(it is no longer on the air, but you can find the old episodes online), Sekai no Hatte Made Itte Q, Honma Dekka, Gaki no Tsukai, Kisumai Busaiku (if you're a beginner this one is easy to understand), Cartoon KAT-TUN, Getsu kara Yofukashi, gah so many lol. I watch all of these on Dailymotion.
meighy wrote: femmedesneiges: These sound good! Thank you! I really like Korean variety but I don't know any japanese shows...any suggestions?

I second Arashi's shows, Gaki no Tsukai, Getsu kara Yofukashi, Kisumai Busaiku in particular. And I'd add AKBingo, (easy to understand), Picaru no Teiri (sketch show, finished but it was hilarious), Kanjani no Shiwake, The Tetsuwan DASH, Waratte Iitomo...

Panda-san wrote: Gaj10, that was a thoughtful contribution to this discussion.

Cackling.
Oh yeah, AKBingo is suprisingly amusing to watch, thought I don't care much for AKB48 lol. I like the word games because you can pick up some vocabulary from them. Why come to a thread discussing shows to watch without subs...if you say you will never watch dramas without subs?! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Wow, a lot of great variety suggestions! I'm excited, lol.
Panda-san wrote: Oh yeah, AKBingo is suprisingly amusing to watch, thought I don't care much for AKB48 lol.

Same, and I don't care about Kis-My-Ft2 but Kisumai Busaiku is one of my favourite shows.

meighy wrote: Wow, a lot of great variety suggestions! I'm excited, lol.

Have fun!
AKBingo is actually pretty fun. I was expecting the girls to be really annoying, but they'er not too bad.
I went into AKBingo with a similar attitude but they won me over easily.
I love AKBingo too! I never can remember any of the AKB48 girls' names though. Regarding the original topic, tokusatsu shows are really good to watch without subtitles, since they're originally aimed at kids (basically a step up in difficulty from kids' anime). However, since there are so many adults that watch toku, the plots are generally really good. Some good ones to start with are Kamen Rider Fourze (my first!), Kamen Rider W, and Kamen Rider Den-O. (I know I'm really late to the party with this reply, but I had to put my two cents in.)