I've been in a pretty bad drama slump for a little while now, nothing seems to click. I am really looking for a show or two I can marathon (so I would prefer it to be 30 episodes or under.) I also am in the mood for something serious, some comedy is fine but I do not want a traditional romantic comedy.

Must have:
-Strong romance, this should be the primary focus of the show or shared equally with another genre (the other genre does not matter to me.)
-Happy ending (they should be together at the end of the show)

Must not have:
-Cheating (the leads cannot cheat on each other)
-Annoying/clueless/overly awkward leads (Park Shin Hye is a big no-no)
-Heavy love triangles/polygons (it can have a triangle, but I don't want something like In Time With You where the entire plot is about two leads that obviously should be together but spend almost the entire show with someone else.)

I do not care what country the show is from as long as the romance is gripping. Here is a list of some of the things I love in shows, if you can recommend a show that includes some of these it would be perfect but it does not necessarily need any of these:

-Guy protecting girl or girl protecting guy (like The Princess' Man)
-Female lead with tragic past, rescued by guy or guy rescued by girl (like MARS)
-Realistic skinship / chemistry (like Queen in-Hyun's Man)
-First love with a tragic separation and a fateful reunion (like Spring Waltz)

If you could give a brief description of why I should watch what you recommend, I would really appreciate it! I'd like to know why I should watch what you suggest and how/if it feets the criteria I mentioned in my post.

Thanks!
I haven't seen it on your list, so I would recommend Coffee Prince. It was one of my first korean dramas and is one of my favorites so far. The drama has a great cast, Yoon Eun Hye and Gong Yoo had great chemistry (I ship them to date XD). I would say the drama fulfills all of your criteria's in some way. If you don't mind that the female lead has a tomboyish character, I think you'd really enjoy it. It's not a disaster as You're beautiful, trust me.
Hi, I think you might enjoy "The greatest love", and from your list City Hall.
The only dramas from my list that I think fit your criterias (happy ending, no annoying leads, no cheating) are Family Honor, Last Scandal (both korean) and Sunny Happiness (chinese). All three are modern dramas, genres included family, drama, romance. The lead characters are no teenagers, but adults. Family honor has one of my most beloved romance stories. It has no (real) love rivalries. The only thing that might hold you back from watching might be its length. But for me, the time went by very fast. Last Scandal is a romance comedy, with the leads having been in love in school, but lost sight of each other. They meet many years later, with the main lead as a high profile star and the female lead being a devoted housewife at the edge of getting divorced. They end up living together. If you like slow paced but decent drama, Sunny Happiness might be good for you too.
Well I was going to say "The Princess' Man" until you mention it... ^^' So let me see:

Innocent Love - Japanese romance with some drama. A few years ago Kanon lost her parents and her brother was arrested as the prime suspect. When no one is willing to give her a job, Kanon decides to try her luck in the city and there she meets the man of her destiny...

Nagareboshi - One of my favorites romantic dramas of all time: Kengo is a man trying to save his sister life who is dying. Risa is a girl working in the sex trade in order to pay off her brother's debt. One day she tries to comit suicide and Kengo saves her and proposes a contract of marriage.

I would also say Fated to Love You, but it is a romantic comedy! Even though it has drama too. But it is very good to marathon...

Faith - It has a similiar style with "The Moon that Embraces the Sun" and so on, has some comedy but plenty drama. After the queen is injured the king General Choi Yeong goes to a place called Heaven to bring a legendary magic doctor. In reality he goes to the 21st-century and brings back a plastic surgeon.

Good luck! :)
Well, you've seen pretty much all of the ones I was going to recommend but in Pasta the leads have great chemistry and as far as love triangles/squares goes it doesn't really matter because the leads don't care about them so it's not such a huge issue like on other dramas.
Some of these sound promising, thanks so far! Currently finishing up Nagareboshi and it's wonderful.
You have already gotten many suggestions here, but I want to recommend Itoshi kimi e, because I LOVED the romance in this drama and it has a happy ending. A young doctor meets a photographer, her dead friend's older brother. It's not love at first sight but they fall in love. The problem is that he has a rare disease that will make him blind. There is a second female lead, but no actual cheating and it's not a heavy triangle like in many dramas. I'm not sure what you mean by "protecting" because I haven't seen the drama you mention, but the guy acts in a way that he thinks is protective... There are no overly annoying characters, but there are beautiful romantic moments, cute children, tear-jerking moments, family moments, some pretty awesome supporting characters... There's no skinship, but the couple does have chemistry in my opinion.

As for Nagareboshi mentioned above, you might like it. But in my opinion it doesn't fit your criteria because the primary focus is family and the romance is under developed. :( There's chemistry between the couple, yes, but there's also a heavy triangle present during most of the drama: the man, the woman and the woman's brother. It might not count because there's nothing sexual, but the brother is definitely obsessed with her in an unhealthy way. (Also, he's somewhere close to the top of my "most annoying character" list, just as bad as any evil second female lead.) Her "fake" husband tries to protect her though! The acting is really good though and like I said, you might like it more than I did. I rated it 7 but there are more people who rated it higher.
MrsDearTV wrote: I haven't seen it on your list, so I would recommend Coffee Prince. It was one of my first korean dramas and is one of my favorites so far. The drama has a great cast, Yoon Eun Hye and Gong Yoo had great chemistry (I ship them to date XD). I would say the drama fulfills all of your criteria's in some way. If you don't mind that the female lead has a tomboyish character, I think you'd really enjoy it. It's not a disaster as You're beautiful, trust me.

I really like Yoon Eun Hye. I have been reluctant to watch genderbenders/body switches because I havent been a fan in the past, but I am not close minded at all. The only shows I have a really hard time watching are the TWRomComs that make me feel like I am watching a cartoon. I have been way wrong before, so I will never write anything off with a strong recommendation.

lily_b wrote: You have already gotten many suggestions here, but I want to recommend Itoshi kimi e, because I LOVED the romance in this drama and it has a happy ending. A young doctor meets a photographer, her dead friend's older brother. It's not love at first sight but they fall in love. The problem is that he has a rare disease that will make him blind. There is a second female lead, but no actual cheating and it's not a heavy triangle like in many dramas. I'm not sure what you mean by "protecting" because I haven't seen the drama you mention, but the guy acts in a way that he thinks is protective... There are no overly annoying characters, but there are beautiful romantic moments, cute children, tear-jerking moments, family moments, some pretty awesome supporting characters... There's no skinship, but the couple does have chemistry in my opinion.

As for Nagareboshi mentioned above, you might like it. But in my opinion it doesn't fit your criteria because the primary focus is family and the romance is under developed. :( There's chemistry between the couple, yes, but there's also a heavy triangle present during most of the drama: the man, the woman and the woman's brother. It might not count because there's nothing sexual, but the brother is definitely obsessed with her in an unhealthy way. (Also, he's somewhere close to the top of my "most annoying character" list, just as bad as any evil second female lead.) Her "fake" husband tries to protect her though! The acting is really good though and like I said, you might like it more than I did. I rated it 7 but there are more people who rated it higher.

I am actually really enjoying Nagareboshi. I don't mind the subtle romance when its done well (as in most Jdramas, and I really enjoy jromance.) Don't get me wrong, I love sizzling skinship, but it's not mandatory for me. The main reason Nagareboshi is sitting so well with me is because I have the biggest soft spot for the damaged, vulnerable girl (MARS, Orange Days and Missing You being three of my all-time favorites) that is able to grow with the help of a selfless guy (I even enjoy when the girl rescues the guy from his tragic past. MARS had both.) The big brother in me wants to help and protect, and those stories always leave me emotional. I think love is about saving each other in a sense and its my absolute favorite trope.

And I am not sure if any character has ever gotten under my skin as much as the brother, but I like having someone to hate in a drama. It helps me empathize that much more.

And I will definitely check out Itoshi kimi e, thanks for the suggestion!
AnitaGuida wrote:
I would also say Fated to Love You, but it is a romantic comedy! Even though it has drama too. But it is very good to marathon...

When i read, what you're searching for, i wanted also say, that you should try Fated to love you. It has many funny moments, but they doesn't ruin the sad and serious moments, the show have.
Looking at your plan to watch list, I'd recommend these three. I enjoyed each of them and marathoned them in a day or two.

Sungkyunkwan Scandal
Soulmate
Shining Inheritance

Lighthearted romantic comedies...
Kimi Wa Petto
Saiku no Rikon
Master's Sun

I never hesitate to recommend A Man's Story and Bridal Mask though the former isn't strong on romance. They are both my favorite dramas and keep you intrigued until the end. The lead actresses in both leave much to be desired but the actors and storylines keep you from noticing.I've actually been in a slump since Bridal Mask finished airing, but currently watching You Who came from the Stars. My problem is that I haven't really found something that makes me anticipate the next episode. I've found some good dramas, but I havent cared if I finish them or not. Maybe I'm just tired of the same plots?
I second Fated To Love You. It's a perfect drama to marathon and though it may be more of a romcom, you will definitely feel a mix of all kinds of emotions watching it. I rewatched some episodes and I still laugh like crazy and cry because of the couple, they have very great chemistry and the story is sure to hook you, at least after a few episodes. Everybody that I know have watched the drama loved it and got hooked to, it's a drama you will for sure enjoy, with brilliant OSTs and amazing acting by the leads and the supporting cast. I love this show so much I wish had time to rewatch.
I see several of you recommended Fated to Love You - can anyone tell me if it has the same over-the-top comic book humor that Devil Beside You or I Want To Become A Hard Persimmon has? Because I have trouble getting through a show like that.