I'm looking for a historical period drama. Having the story be about the female lead is definitely a requirement, but it doesn't have to have romance. I'd prefer if the drama isn't mostly composed of mostly fighting/action scenes. I love detailed political schemes though, especially when the antagonists are far from one dimensional, so if it has that, that's a big bonus for me. I especially love historical dramas where the female leads . . . (1) perform some sort of traditional dance, act, or song (like in the drama "The Legend of Zhen Huan") (2) show a mastery over a certain area (such as the drama "Faith" where the female lead is a surgeon or in the "Painter of the Wind" where the female lead is a talented painter) and/or (3) display their cleverness and resourcefulness (such as in, Startling By Each Step). If it has any of the above, I'll be very extremely excited to watch it. By the way, all the drama examples used above I really enjoyed and they come highly recommended from me for anyone who's looking for something similar to this request. Some other examples would be: Sungkyunkwan Scandal Queen In-Hyun's Man
Hwang Jin Yi sounds exactly what you are looking for. There is also a movie. The movie is called Legendary Courtesan Hwang Jin Yi. Both are about the same historical woman, but both have completely different stories.
If you aren't watching Empress Ki, I definitely recommended.
I think Queen Seon Duk is a must watch drama if you like this kind of topic, because it tells the story of her becoming the first reigning queen. There's also Jewel in the Palace which is about a woman becoming the first (and only) female royal physician. And lastly, I second Empress Ki^^ These are all pretty long at over 50 episodes, but definitely worth the time!
Queen Seon Deok , Empress Ki, The Moon Embracing The Sun, Jang Ok-Jung, really great dramas. Enjoy. :-P
CherryBunny wrote: Hwang Jin Yi sounds exactly what you are looking for. There is also a movie. The movie is called Legendary Courtesan Hwang Jin Yi. Both are about the same historical woman, but both have completely different stories.

Hwang Jin Yi does sound like what she's looking for.

Nana87 wrote: If you aren't watching Empress Ki, I definitely recommended.

DragonAlien wrote: Empress Ki, The Moon Embracing The Sun, Jang Ok-Jung, really great dramas. Enjoy. :-P

I completely agree with Empress Ki! It's still airing, but there are 37 episodes available already.

And second Moon Embracing the Sun and Jang Ok-Jung.

There's also Dong Yi and I really enjoyed Cruel Palace- War of the Flowers.

And I haven't watched it, but Jewel in the Palace is a popular one too.
Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my request. I have so many dramas to choose from, it's hard to pick which one I will try first.

Hwang Jin Yi fits exactly what I'm looking for, but unfortunately I've already watched it a few months ago. I liked it alot in the beginning of the series, but somewhere towards the middle she became cold-hearted and ruthless. I fond it hard to root for her and the focus of the drama had changed alot. I eventually gave up on it. However, the episodes I did watch were beautiful and emotionally touching. Her training as a gisaeng, her beautiful dancing, and the performance on the tightrope make this show a worthy watch on it's own.

Other shows I've watched that people recommended here:
Empress Ki (currently watching and it's really great so far)
Cruel Palace - War of the Flowers (I put this on hold for now. Even though I really like it, it's very gritty and dark and I could only watch a little at a time.)

And the shows I'll be checking out soon:
Legendary Courtesan Hwang Jin Yi
Queen Seon Duk
The Moon Embracing the Sun
Jang Ok-Jung
Jewel in the Palace
Dong Yi

Once again, thanks for everyone who took the time to respond. I really appreciate it! And if anyone has more dramas to recommend, I'll be very happy to hear them.
If you, by any Chance, also watch Japanese Dramas, I'd recommend Yae no Sakura ... I'm watching it right now and it's not bad :) and she is great, she knows how to shoot guns, which was definitely not considered normal at that time in Japan^^