I went through 'The List of Suggestions' and 10+ pages, but please re-direct to the original suggestion if I missed it and this one is a duplicate. I hope we can get more votes/push on this going :)

I feel like MDL has a really good algorithm/system for currently trending, upcoming, ending, top airing (per country), etc., on the front page. Then we have the pages/advanced search filters to display the most popular/top-ranked actors, actresses, movies, dramas, etc. I love these features; however, I wish there was a way to see more underrated dramas with lower ratings, fewer raters, or watchers that can be pushed to the viewers somehow. Without further ado, here are my thoughts on this:

Problem: Many individuals have yet to hear of numerous shows/movies that don't include big casts/production. These shows are typically not on the front display of MDL due to their lack of popularity. These individuals who seek non-trending shows/movies would love to find hidden gems, especially with past shows/movies pages that are just sitting idle on MDL. 

Potential Solutions?

1. The "easiest fix" I can see from this is to add a filter option in advanced search with the number of watchers (devs can correct me here). Since we already have a filter for ratings, users can search for shows with less than x number of watchers and then select rating range, if needed.
  2. I think adding a section to the front page, maybe under "Most Popular Shows," would be a nice touch for those who won't go out of their way to use the advanced search. This would probably be more work for devs to mess with the algorithm to display random shows with different criteria for 'underrated.' This will probably be a random list. 
  3. Maybe a button on MDL that allows users to recommend shows (like the heart feature on actors/actresses' pages) that's different from its ratings? Many individuals don't rate shows, so an algorithm that is not influenced by ratings may be nice. It'll show how many people liked it/recommended it despite the ratings. However, it'll be, once again, based on how popular a show/movie is in the long run. If this feature is mixed with solution #2, this could help influence which shows get featured on the list. 

Potential Issues: The biggest issue is that 'underrated' can be subjective to the person looking for underrated shows/movies. 

Positive Result: This would help users take up the role of contributors and add to the missing cast, tags, or information on these pages that are left untouched. 

Open for the MDL community to list out their thoughts/suggestions if you guys are interested in this feature :)

11votes

I really like this suggestion. I find myself not always as intrigued by newer dramas as I used to be, but older dramas and movies have something a little different to what's currently airing, and I would like to give more of these older stories a chance.

I like this idea a lot, I’ve seen a few unknown and under appreciated shows and they were really good, by unknown I mean less than 1000 views. Plus when I search for new shows they're  really hard to find as it seems the same shows are getting promoted.